Fox News thread of fine journalism

Just to show how incredibly absurd the coverage is…here’s what you get when searching “site:huffingtonpost.com +tibbetts”. Four total stories over the past month. Fox has dozens upon dozens (over 100k search results). In contrast, CNN has 1,700 total hits.

Fox search:

Okay, you win. :)

HA, I think we all lose in this case.

Just for fun, searching site:foxnews.com with some other terms - I know it’s not an exact science but fun to see:

Trump - 756,000 hits
Clinton - 173,000 hits
Mollie Tibbetts - 101,000 hits
Manafort - 91,800 hits
Collusion - 43,500 hits
Brock Turner - 143 hits

I visit CNN pretty much every day and the Washington Post most days too. I didn’t know about Mollie Tibbets until I saw it here at Qt3.

This is one of those things liberals are both justly annoyed by the dis-proportionality and really missing the target on at the same time.

Essentially we shouldn’t live in a world where college girls go missing and we shrug and say “oh well, college girls go missing all the time.” That kind of attitude is exactly what the FOX media outlets build on. Some poor girl may have something horrible done to her. In other countries this would be front page news for weeks. But in America, where horrible things are happening to women all the time, which story you focus on has racial or political overtones. Which of course misses the point of crimes against women being committed all the time, every one of which is something we should be incensed by and fighting to make a better society to prevent.

I find it super annoying and distasteful that to even focus on one horrible crime instead of another horrible crime is seen through this lens of politics.

Again, hers is a sad case, but there are more than 800,000 children reported missing each year in the country. That’s more than 2,000 a day. And that’s just children. There are tons of adults who disappear daily, too.

The fixation on this case is exploitative.

Like I said, it’s sad, but the sheer focus on this ONE story seems fishy to me.

I mean, she’s not the only girl who’s gone missing.

Beyond the obvious attempt to distract from the political mess for Trump right now, I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that her family has some sort of wealthy ties to Fox, or someone in the administration, or something along those lines.

It’s 100% dog whistling but unlike other politicized crimes there is a missing woman here, and it shouldn’t be political to find her or find justice for her. It’s just we have so many crimes against women there’s literally not enough time in the day to report them all.

And if people are being honest, if your daughter was missing and you were a billionaire, you’re going to bet we’d be listening about the story every day for weeks.

Oh, is her family rich?

It was just rowe33’s assertion that they had some “in” with the news media. I don’t know if that’s true or if they have some resources (it’s clear they have some), but lemme be honest, if my daughter went missing you can bet every string i had in society would be pulled as hard as they could be. And so would most people.

The problem is Republican media happy to use these tragedies for their own ideological ends. But that’s not really the fault of the family, and honestly if i were the family, the more attention the better, whatever Fox News’s underlying reasons for pushing the story.

It is certainly a tragedy when a young person is ripped from her parents, and taken away to god-knows-what horrible place, possibly never to be seen again.

I mean, unless that person is an immigrant. Then it’s just a day ending in y.

Eh. Maybe?

I mean, yeah, thousands of people are reported missing each year, and at any given time about 90,000 have been reported as missing and have not yet been found.

But the vast, vast majority of those people will be found in the next day or three. And practically all of them are missing for explicable reasons: they ran away from home after a fight with their parents; they took off in a huff and didn’t come home last night; they’re not where they ought to be, but neither is their boyfriend/girlfriend; they went out drinking Friday a couple nights ago and haven’t come back home. Few people simply vanish.

This case is different in that the girl simply fell off the face of the planet. There’s no evidence of foul play (or at least there wasn’t last time I read a summary a few days back), there’s no reason/evidence to believe that she took off on her own, and no reason to think she died due to misadventure.

Lest we forget, not so long ago it was CNN who would go into crisis mode with 24/7 coverage every time a young white woman went missing.

Just about the only thing positive thing I can say about the Trump era is that Nancy Grace is no longer on the air.

That’s a good point, but I imagine all the networks were doing it then, right? With country-level news happening every single day, this one particular obsession really sticks out.

Yeah, that story explains exactly why the Kaiser’s government put Lenin on a plane bound for Tokyo. Tricky play, that.

How much you want to bet we can find someone else who has gone missing who is not young and pretty and white and maybe find one article about it, on a local site. It’s not the reporting, it’s the way they think it’s okay to do this for some but not for a lot of others.

It’s sad but why is she getting all the news and not say some young black girl that vanished, a literal girl not a young woman? We have Amber Alerts that get less than this.

Oh yea, here in Texas there are definitely different class of attention paid to Hispanic missing persons as well as African Americans (although tatted up white people aren’t much better).

Yea, it’s not fair. There are tons of people that deserve better. I’ve pointed this out here before (somewhere or another).

It’s kind of like … GoFundMe, or Kickstarter, or heck, even Instagram. Young, attractive people get all the attention. Even the Chinese woman that disappeared in Chicago’s family essentially had to throw money around until they managed to get enough attention on the case and arrested the likely culprit.

Like I said above, this is 100% dogwhistle by places like Fox, but i’m not going to say it’s wrong to look for her. I think it’s better to say it’s wrong we’re not looking for everyone else missing just as hard.

Nope, not wrong, but perhaps every day Fox should devote hours to the many, many missing people have everyday. It’s heart breaking but at least their faces would go out; they might be recognized better.

I just don’t think it’s fair to criticize people questioning the coverage. They should take some of that time and give it to someone else who is missing too.