Fox News thread of fine journalism

“Do you know anything” is a great way to end that video. Good grief, these f’n people.

I assume that means they’re hiring him full-time.

Scum. All of them. Pure scum.

Judicial Watch and Turning Point are both full of scum. Anytime anyone links anything from them on social media my anger redlines.

Tuned across Hannity’s radio show for 30 seconds on my way home. He had a guest who was simply sad about the Pittsburgh murders and I briefly thought ‘this is a nice change’. Then Hannity spoke. within 10 seconds he was going on about a) how the left was politicizing the murders and b) it was the Democrats like Obama and Clinton who were photographed with Farrakhan, so thet’re the true anti-Semites.

Meanwhile, not exactly Fox but Fox-subservient, leave it to Kellyanne Conway to spin the murders to fit standard right-wing talking points:

Guy on Fox says that immigrants are going to bring in smallpox and leprosy.

For the record, it’s impossible for them to bring in smallpox, because we eradicated that disease with vaccines in 1977, and it no longer exists outside of laboratory environments.

Well you know what Jesus said about those lepers, kick them when they’re down.

There was a concern following 9/11 that smallpox would be used again as a bio-weapon. I and many thousands of service members were vaccinated. (The vaccine sucks to get–3 weeks of soreness and flu-like symptoms and a permanent scar–but is awesome from an epidemiology standpoint. It’s practically bulletproof, keeps forever, and can be administered by anyone with just about anything sharp.)

Leprosy is no more endemic in Central America than it is in the United States. It’s also fully curable, with treatment offered for free by the WHO.

I read that the immigrants are also bringing in The Gay. I bet that can’t be cured as easily as leprosy!

Worse, they’re bringing a version of Christianity that might follow the teachings of Christ!

This gave me a chuckle this morning, thank you.

Matt, when was that? It makes me wonder if I got that during basic or later on while serving. I think you served around the same time as me?

It was during deployment in 2003-4. I think they only vaccinated deployed units (and it may have been only ships) because you actually present a risk to unvaccinated (for smallpox) kids for a couple of days after you get it. You’d remember if you had it. It results in a painful sore about an inch in diameter on your shoulder that eventually scabs up and leaves a scar, and it feels like you have the flu for 2-3 weeks after getting it. Many days of whole watch teams basically leaning on the equipment and groaning during watches.

Are people not routinely vaccinated for smallpox any more? I guess I just assumed that some of the dozens of vaccination shots my kids got included smallpox, like they did when I was a kid.

I found it, it sounds like I missed out, but based on that description, meh, I’m good. It also sounds like they have continued it to this day.

Because it was eradicated in the wild they don’t feel the need to.

Understandable, given how shitty the vaccination sounds! That sounds pretty awful.

Not since 1972 in the United States. It’s not a shot–it’s administered subcutaneously by dipping a needle (or other sharp instrument) in vaccine solution and then pricking your shoulder a few times.

Some kind of scarring from vaccination (either smallpox or, probably more commonly, TB) is very common in Asia.

(I don’t have one, being born in the US, but many of my schoolmates from Hong Kong and Singapore did).

Yep. My sister, 4 years older than me, has a smallpox mark on her shoulder from the vaccination. I don’t, they had quit by the time I was old enough apparently.