Fox News thread of fine journalism

Sure, you pat them on the back and tell them what a good friend they are while you’re lifting their wallet at the same time. Nothing new here.

Family Dollar announced last week they are shutting down. Some may exist in another form but I think it was the end of the name.

I sort of feel like it may be a bit like this:

Though they are different Dollar General ate up that market with name similarity and a better store.

I once interviewed for a corporate job at Family Dollar. I’m SOOOOO glad I didn’t take that offer.

Why of course.

Just gonna let this stand on its own;

Another intellectual heavyweight.

jesusfacepalm.jpg

Reparations, checks against slavery, equality… the Fox viewers will eat anything up so long as the end of the sentence ends with something like, it’s not your fault, you shouldn’t have to think about or care about any of this, these people deserve nothing, and you should get everything.

That is fucking breathtaking.

They keep blaming the Trump administration for putting those kids in cages but the truth is that the Trump administration let some of them out. And they get no credit for that.

There is so much to unpack there. It’s really pretty amazing. “America came along as the first country to end [slavery] within 150 years”

• I don’t even know how I’m supposed to parse this sentence. The construction is like "America ended [World War II], as though its a thing that was happening somewhere else, and we fixed it for other people.
  • What does 150 years refer to? Maybe the age of specific southern states/colonies? The Civil War ended less than 100 years after the 1776. Does she think we “ended slavery” in the 1920s?
  • I wonder how she feels about countries that never had slavery. They probably suck because they never ended it.
  • I particularly enjoy that we shouldn’t “blame people who have nothing to do with slavery” for slavery, but we need to give credit to modern day White Americans for…continuing to not have slavery, I guess?

I want to give credit to CLWheeljack for his continued not committal of felonious actions against me. Very commendable.

She might have been trying to parrot this nugget:

My parsing of it is that we ended slavery about 150 years ago.

Yes, not really sure how to come at this. In 1865 slavery had existed in the colonies for more than 200 years and in the States for fewer than 90. Maybe you could say she means we freed our slaves more quickly relative to our founding than a country like England, which despite emancipating decades earlier, had been around for much longer… or something? But as the U.S. is an extension of England which actually steered itself into a much larger-scale slave system independently of England, the comparison is nonsensical and hardly to our credit.

Ultimately, trying to unpack and make sense of the ignorance in that hash is an IQ-lowering exercise. TLDR: Fox R Dumb (and also racist)

I’m sure Mr. Walsh meant white countries.

We might have officially abolished it but we all know there were laws created in the South to keep it going.

Years between independence and abolition of slavery:

Shithole:
Shithole:
Shithole:
Shithole:
'Murica: