Fox News thread of fine journalism

The Fox diaspora continues. Greta lands at MSNBC.

The more people leave, the more likely it seems that scary ass blonde Tomi something will be hired on. She exudes pure evil from what I’ve seen.

Technically, she’s classified as a banshee.

I find TV news in general, and major network news in particular to be depressing because of who they think they need to hire. Everyone needs to be pretty. You see very few women on the major networks (cable in particular) who look like they weren’t hired for their looks. They may be geniuses but they put them in short dresses and doll them up. All I can think of is the character in Broadcast News.

I should mention I have a degree in Radio-TV and chose not to pursue work in the field because of that. I also found I could make much better money elsewhere.

I heard Rachel Maddow on ESPN (yea, ESPN) the other day talk about how sorry she felt for anyone in college now who wanted to be a newsmen or journalist.

This type of post is why, even if we can’t have “likes” in this forum, we need SOMETHING. We need something like reddit gold.

I think Qt3’s reddit gold / Like should be a Timex!

Sadly (IMHO) the daughter of some close friends just entered journalism school this past September. I really don’t understand what she’s going to do with her degree (but I’m dying to ask her thoughts on the issue, as she’s a pretty smart and level headed young woman, so I don’t think she went in with blinders on).

I think someone concentrating more on the journalism side probably has a better future than someone concentrating on the TV side.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that students in journalism now should also find a specialty to go with it. Something that adds value to what they know.

Tomi Lahren seems like she would fit right into the network they want to be. My opinion is that they should go all-in on it and hope that the crazy train keeps running. I suspect they will have a hard time holding their fanbase with just Bowtie and Papa O’Reilly. I mean, would someone just call Sean Hannity?

The primary qualification for on-air talent isn’t that they have brains, though. There are plenty of writers, reporters, and others that can provide the brain power. The job of on-air talent is to look good, read the news confidently and accurately, and manage interviews effectively. Only the 3rd of those requires complex thought, but it’s mostly of the social intelligence kind that often comes more naturally to beautiful people anyway (since they are more likely to be comfortable in crowds). There are plenty of hosts and talking heads that seem to be “from central casting” and yet are really good at it, from Kelly to Maddow to Cooper. The major networks can afford to find the people who excel at all aspects of the job, but one of those aspects is gaining a following. Having good looks is very helpful in gaining a following, whether you’re male or female. It’s just that men look good by putting on a suit, while women look good by showing skin (even in elegant settings, where significant cleavage would be frowned on, showing a lot of neck, shoulder, and/or arms is the style for women). Would the on-air product be better with talent that emphasized everything except looks? I find it hard to believe that the current approach would have become dominant if that was the case.

I suppose with a visual medium it was inevitable that the visual would become the most important part.

Pretty much. I mean technically all they need to do is read what is in front of them.

Which is why other places they call them “news readers” because that’s basically all they tend to do. Here we tend to see them as more because of people like Dan Rather, but the majority of them really do just read the news while speaking well and looking good.

Yup yup.

But American cultural imperialism means we have to eat the same shit you all do. I.e read The Guardian.

I’ve not seen the phrases “American white males” or “Americans can non-whites” once. It’s just vast global identity groups. All white males. All black people. All Muslims etc

If anything though, open racism has been just a much a thing of recent times in the UK as it has the US. Jo Cox, Brexit and Farage etc.

I never really got the impression that race was the same kind of deal in the UK as the US, due to the lack of the whole widespread slavery thing. But there were similar types of bigotry directed at immigrants.

UK race issues have got a lot worse in recent years due to 9/11 and identity politics but we haven’t reached the “No Blacks, No Coloureds, No Irish, No Dogs” of my childhood. Don’t forget Brexit was won on a campaign of xenophobia and racism, there is no doubts about that. I haven’t been openly called any racial slurs in a while, the last time was some chavs yelling as I went past in a taxi a few years ago and I dont think they were locals.

Our police are pretty much the same, at least in terms of attitude. I spent many a time in my formative years spread legged and being searched due to what i joke as a “suspicion of possessing a brown skin” thing. The main difference is lack of gun culture, hence me still being alive.

Wrong. If you had a gun, you could have shot the cops and stopped them from putting you in a potentially dangerous situation.

Once!

YES someone else has seen Johnny Dangerously!

Seriously, I use that ALL the time and just get blank stares. LOVE that movie.

/derail

Lousy cork-soakers!

Love that movie so much. Damn. Now I’ve gotta go watch it again.

If only for “Your Testicles and You!”.

We’re watching it right now. It’s a free country, icehole.

God I love this movie.