Fox News thread of fine journalism

Yes, yes, yes. “If they were really ‘pro-life’ they’d support women’s health, etc.” I’m not talking about the cynical right that knows what they’re doing. I’m talking about the rank-and-file come-to-Jesus folks that literally believe ABORTION = MURDER. For those people, the issue is non-negotiable. Any vote for a Democratic presidential candidate is an implicit endorsement of federally approved baby killing to them.

Take that “racists can’t be nice guys” mentality and apply it here. The nicest, most Christian, hawkish, bullish, free-market Democrat in the US is still going to be a baby-killer to that way of thought.

Absolutely. True story time:
A long time ago I was dating a woman going through a divorce (it wasn’t final yet.) My mom really didn’t like her, so I asked her why.
“She’s a slut!”
What does that make me Mom?
Oh that doesn’t matter, she answered, all men are pigs.

(My mom has thankfully gotten a lot more progressive since then.)

Ok, I concede that point.
Those people though really aren’t worth pursuing though, are they? I mean, what percentage of voters are they?

It’s not a small group. There are couple of big religions that preach this policy and who to vote for several times a week.

However, the problem with this argument though is the same one we had with slavery, where they pick one part of a sermon or passage from the Bible to hang onto for dear life and kick the other ones to the curb at convenience which makes their position of my religion says a very weak. one. It also implies there are not pro-life voters in the Democratic block which is, flat out, not true.

I mean one solution would be to shutter the Churches. . .

That’s the crux of the example. It doesn’t matter if there are pro-life Democrats to these people, and they would argue that anyone that says they are Democrats and pro-life are lying because no one can possibly support a pro-choice Supreme Court and be pro-life. Which is implicitly what you’ll get with a Democratic president picking Justices. Again, to the hardcore, this is non-negotiable. There is no acceptable quarter. Anyone that votes Democrat is approving baby-murder, and if they say they’re neutral or it’s not their voting issue, then they are standing by and letting baby killing happen for their convenience.

I’m not saying there isn’t hypocrisy there. You’re right that there is. It’s just that in this worldview, abortion colors the way they see the other side of the aisle.

Okay, but understand it’s happened that way for most of our entire existence as a country. There will always be pandering to some group of voters by the politicians in question. But that doesn’t mean that we as people make exceptions for everything about a candidate just because we vote for them.

What this conversation is skewing as is that all Republican voters are racist/sexist and aren’t worth counting for any opinion. I’m not saying the whole block are really nice people, but they aren’t all assholes.

Our problem isn’t that we need to be even more divided as a country, it is that if all we are willing to do is name call against each other, there is no way this situation changes.

To @SlainteMhath 's point:

And to drive home where our hatred should be pointed at, instead of the entire voting block of Republicans:

Damn, who can argue with logic like that. So we should be happy that the dems don’t get the white vote.

@Skipper gets it. Could not have said it better myself. Thanks!

What?
Go ahead and answer the question: Why have Republicans won the white vote since 1964? Economic anxiety?

If someone is a racist, I am going to call them a racist. That’s not name calling. If you judge someone based on their race, that’s just what it is.And you don’t get to hide behind the media or claiming I’m just saying how it is or stats to hide from that label.

But if you judge their politics as being racist are you judging them or their politics. I have seen people on the left declare some pretty “vanilla” (for lack of a better term) things as racist in the last few years.

You’re ALLOWED to judge someone based on their politics. Their politics are a direct choice that they make as people. People are allowed to be held accountable and judged for their choices.

Then there should be no surprises when others judge you for yours. And thus we end up with today’s political climate.

I am totally fine with someone judging me for my political beliefs. I am absolutely prepared to defend them.
That’s not the same as judging me based on my race.

I am going to judge someone based on what they do and what they say and how they act. There is nothing wrong with that. Politics is a choice. Why you would ever, EVER, equate that to judging someone based on what they ARE is beyond me. We can certainly talk about life experiences, and how opinions are formed, and how valuable certain opinions are in certain scenarios but if you walk around on this planet and your instinct is to point at a bunch of brown people and say there is our problem and it’s their fault followed by stats, that’s racist, not “telling it like it is.”

Oh good, we’ve circled back to “not tolerating intolerance is the real intolerance.”

Yeah I’m not tolerating racists.It’s not a surprising thing at all from the eyes of the people they actually target. Oh, and in case it’s unclear, Fuck them AND anyone who tries to shield them with their pretty little stories.

My snark wasn’t aimed at you (this time) @Nesrie ;)

Heh, well wumpus and Discourse tell me that if anyone replies directly below me without a quote, they’re replying to me which is why all their notifications act that way. So, apologies for that misunderstanding.