Fox News thread of fine journalism

I’m having a hard time feeling bad for Scottie Nell Hughes.

If she was raped, that’s horrific. But at the same time, she then went on and defended Trump’s being a serial sexual predator. So some part of me feels like she deserves the same disregard that she herself promoted towards victims of Trump’s behavior.

I have a hard time reconciling these feelings though, because at no point have I ever felt that a rape victim deserved it. Hell, even in this case, I don’t feel like she deserved it. But I honestly don’t know how to describe what I’m feeling about this. Perhaps some kind of weird bafflement that someone could suffer that kind of violation, and then go on to defend people who commit such acts? Maybe that’s it… my brain just isn’t able to put those two facts together in a coherent way.

And O’Reilly is even worse:

Former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly said he has gone through a “horrible” experience in the months since sexual harassment allegations levied against him were disclosed.

“It’s horrible what I went through, horrible what my family went through,” O’Reilly told The New York Times.

Um, I’m pretty sure it’s a direct consequence of your own actions - or do you not believe in personal responsibility for your actions?

In general, if you’re not going to wish rape on men, you shouldn’t wish it on the women either.

I understand the inclination though. These women don’t just support the predators, stand up and basically give him credit by being a woman and saying but they silence other women from coming forward in the process. If all these accusations are true, I hope ever single woman he targeted gets back at him, even the women I find deplorable.

For a second I read that as ‘Janine Garofalo.’ I thought maybe she had turned into a Fox commentator like Kennedy and was like, ‘oh God all the GenX 90s people are going mad’

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/922914199965073408

And here I thought it would be RINO!

We don’t seem to have a thread where this really fits, but this seemed like a good place since it’s another step in turning local stations into Fox News.

Whether this particular rule is a good idea or not isn’t really the point. It’s another step toward giving conglomerates like Sinclair a stranglehold on local news content.

I have to admit, I have a twisted admiration for the way they are able to keep dusting off Hillary as the villain after her political career is finished.

Political Career finished? I bet you wouldn’t say to to the face of the SHADOW PRESIDENT ;)

I actually went to Amazon to see if there was a novel called “Shadow President” because that sounds like some great pulpy thriller thing. Sadly this was the closest I found.

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Presidents-Secret-History-Executives/dp/0812908163/

I think it’s a reference to the so called “Shadow Cabinet” in UK politics, where the minority leadership is referred to as such. Like you said though, that’s a “Clancy Ass” Title

The GOP and FOX don’t know how to operate without some sort of villain to blame all their shortcomings on. They’ve got a woman to blame, and when she doesn’t work they’ll go find the black guy.

Did someone say “Shadow President”?

OMG I KNEW IT WAS RINGING A BELL FOR SOME REASON.

Well remembered, sir.

Will a black woman do?

Absolutely, and it’s also interesting in terms of how much of this comes down to storytelling. People always go on and on about how you have to have a ‘narrative.’ Well, a good narrative typically needs a good villain. This cuts both ways, of course: defining Trump as a villain has obviously electrified Democrats. Of course, unlike Hillary, he actually wields power. To the objective eye, going back to the ‘Hillary’ well looks pretty desperate, but apparently it still works.

They never got closure. She wasn’t thrown in prison. Hillary walking around free infuriates them.

That’s a “Soon” face in the back left there if I’ve ever seen one. Creepy.

I think he just really wants the cowboy hat. :)