FPS: disconnect movement (steering) from aim

I think all of the Bohemia Interactive games feature this, even the original OpFlash. It’s not just track IR. You can simply hold shift :) It’s most useful when you’re in a plane, for instance, and you want to look sideways without rolling or whatever. You can even do it as a solider.

You’ll either have to wait for the Occulus or go back to older games before the current input method became the standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclones_(video_game) Did it for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starsiege I think did it…but it’s been so long I could be totally incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Steel I think sort of did it, I’m fuzzy on it as well.

The Mechwarrior series of games sort of does it, in that you can torso twist and move in a different direction, but you’re reticle is still locked in the center of the viewport. At that point you might as well say that World of Tanks does it too.

Mostly the older games all feel awkward, which is why the current FPS mechanic is the standard.

What?

The old games feel awkward? Which is why the old games where frantic with high speed, precision movement and the new ones are slower, with less movement?

Yeah I played doom over the internet using tcpsetup, and helped beta test ifrag during my college days, so I’m pretty sure I’m conversant with circle strafing. Circle strafing typically has you facing the target, in rl you don’t have to face the target to aim. For instance, you look left shoot, look right shoot, you’re not required to steer toward your target.

I think the point is that circle strafing (and strafing in general) in today’s games mechanically achieves much the same thing in a simpler, more accessible control scheme - you can already shoot in one direction and move in another. Movement is abstract - what difference does it make whether it is called ‘running forward’ or ‘strafing’? Mechanically it is the same thing. In fact, look at a bunch of current FPS replays - usually the model is always ‘running forwards’ with the legs rotating under the torso of the model.

Do you really mean that you want to separate looking and aiming and movement? ie, not have the gun track with your view or your movement direction? This way you could be firing in one direction, while looking over your shoulder in another and moving in a third. There could certainly be advantage in that, but the control scheme with conventional input methods would be a nightmare. I think VR is the only real solution for that, as demonstrated by the TF2 Oculus video upthread.

Those frantic old games with high speed and precision movement all use the modern fps button layout. WASD and strafing without key modifier + mouselook has been the norm for 15+ years now.

Well, yes, this is the point of my confusion.

The general control layout for a pc FPS has more or less been the same for many years now, except for the inclusion of sticky cover mechanics in some console shooters. The only other real difference is these games have generally been encouraging slower/less movement by the player and trying to limit situations which require quick, radical shifts in aiming. This is likely because they are being made with the gamepad in mind, which is incapable of pulling these maneuvers off.

Obvious troll is … simply unused to KB&M?

WASD ctrl/shift lets you accelerate in any of ten cardinal directions at any time independent of facing/aiming. Using the mouse to control movement in a FPS is literally the equivalent of clicking UI buttons instead of using hotkeys in other action games – the player is a novice or just bad.