Frank opinions on Verizon iPhone

Took the plunge and pre-ordered. Have been using for about a week.

Hard not to feel underwhelmed, though primary use of phone “on the go” is for watching online videos (YouTube, etc.), and YouTube app is horrendous. Near as I can tell, Apple’s refusal to adopt Flash precludes most if not all video sites. Not having perfect reception on local wifi while out and about completely seems to preclude viewing online videos.

Primary use of 3G around the house seems to require connecting to home wireless network, which is also a pain. Probably something obvious I’m missing. Personal hotspot feature compensate for issue partially/entirely? What are the costs?

Have not dived deeply into App Store, partially due to lack of free time, partially due to fear that App Store will reveal doodads that will eat up remaining free time.

Looking for other thoughts or things I’m missing. Appreciate the insight.

Edit: Adding link to report on Verizon iPhone’s potential “dud” status.

Youtube works fine for me over 3G, as does Netflix streaming, but I’m on At&T. This may be more a Verizon issue that an iPhone issue.

Primary use of 3G around the house seems to require connecting to home wireless network, which is also a pain. Probably something obvious I’m missing.

I don’t know what this means. My iPhone connects to known networks automatically and painlessly. When I’m home it attaches to my home wireless network with no intervention on my part needed. I also can’t really parse “primary use of 3g around the house” Is that a typo? Do you mean “primary use of phone”?

Also, try going to Youtube via the Youtube app, not the Youtube App that comes with iOS.

YouTube videos function fine, but navigation is nightmarish, at least using pre-installed YouTube app. Playlists don’t actually play lists. Searching through subscriptions requires annoying, repeated scrolling.

Same, but when home wireless network occasionally tanks, so does iPhone, apparently. Merit use of local hotspot?

Much obliged.

If it’s primarily for watching online videos, definitely get the Netflix app.

If you have a bunch of videos at home, you can make them accessible with an app called Air Video. I was surprised at the quality over a cable modem upload.

There’s an official Youtube app?

Yeah, it’s a default app that comes with the phone.

That one I know. Hugin made it sound like there’s another.

No, I shouldn’t have called it an app. It’s the Youtube Mobile site turned into an app button.

Given the size of mobile phone screens, scrolling is probably unavoidable. The lack of a “play all” button for playlists is annoying.

Same, but when home wireless network occasionally tanks, so does iPhone, apparently. Merit use of local hotspot?

I still don’t understand…when your network goes down you can’t…access the network?

How to disable the default iOS YouTube app.

If you’re watching video’s your preferred method should always be wifi versus 3G if available. Especially Verizon’s 3G, which has shown to be slightly slower with the same signal strength. Count your blessings, you’ll be able to call from more places.

Apps are where it’s at. Truly if you aren’t trying some out, you are missing out on the fun. Try finding a new place to eat with Yelp or Urbanspoon, play a game or two, do some fun music stuff with Pandora/Slacker/Soundhound/NPR-Radio, maybe track your workouts with iFitness, or check Facebook or LinkedIn, or look up a new recipe with BigOven, or check the news or the temp before heading to the car, or even track your car mileage and acceleration with it, or get directions from the airport to the hotel, or set an alarm to wake up from your nap, or grab that photo of your coworker goofing off and edit it right there on the phone before emailing it to everyone, etc.

Is it just the speed that’s bugging you or is this your first smartphone?

verizon’s 3g network doesn’t normally have problems viewing videos, at least not on my droid x.