Free antivirus / antispyware?

Curious, why can’t they?

Or just remove the popups for free.

As for the “95% as good” argument, it only needs to miss one virus to really mess up your day.

They can, it’s just unlikely. Considering their last piece of software had horrible detection rates, and bigger players like Norton and McAfee continue to play second-fiddle to Avira and Gdata, until proven otherwise, I don’t trust Microsoft to be as good as anyone else. Track record means something until recent performance proves otherwise.

Is that chart based on MSE or LSE? I thought I saw that chart too, but it was based on an older iteration (LSE) of MSE. Do you know of anything definitively based on MSE?

It’s based on Windows Live Onecare, which is a different tech than the MSE thing currently out. The point is, if Norton and McAfee are both getting their asses handed to them by Avira and Gdata, why should we expect Microsoft, whose past products have been lackluster in this arena, to do any better?

Maybe they might, time will tell. Is that worth the risk right now?

Microsoft has a single AV engine which they use across all their products. I do not expect MSE to do any better.

Huh, I had thought I read they were developed by different teams. Ah well, just even more reason to avoid it.

It’s free, updated via windows update, and people will actually install it. It’s miles and miles better than nothing at all.