Free Speech... or not thread

Right. And as I sad upthread, our libel laws are some of the most authoritarian in the world.

Offenses like this one, or of other various sorts, have long been on the books. Even when homosexual acts were illegal (back in, oh, the 1950s…) they were illegal under euphemisms like ‘indecency’. There’s been a recent push to add some sanity to when charges are brought, if not to the laws themselves. But sometimes those appear to be ignored.

Man, speaking of slander and libel, I feel it’s important to note that I only advocate for the completely sane and reasonable course of stripping all Republican voters of their franchise and possibly imprisoning the Trump voters if and when we build a definitely not a Gulag in the northern hinterlands.

I mean, I’m not gonna mourn it when Paul Ryan bites the dust, and I will definitely make every reasonable effort to shit on his grave before I die, but jeeze, killing the guy?

*shakes head* I strive so hard to be a voice of reason and moderation around here and you guys just take it all the wrong way.

People should feel threatened by this type of behavior.

TLDR: write laws concisely, not broadly or you’ll lose.

Not surprising.

Or as he summarizes:

Meanwhile, in China.

All pigs are subversive.

This is why I only ever played Slayer for customers back in my mall shop days in the early 90s.

I worked at a video store at one point and certain videos got played a lot, because they stayed entertaining after the 50th viewing and weren’t too offensive.

One such video was some Best of Will Farrell SNL disc.

At one point this part came on:

While a black dude was browsing the shelves. He stopped what he was doing to look at the screen for a second. Then laughed his ass off.
So, we were not fired that day.

Will Ferrel is one of the reasons that the world sucks so badly now. Fuck him and Adam Sandler too.

You mean because there’s not enough Will Ferrel?
That’s what you mean, right? Or are we gonna have ourselves…a problem?

Yeah, I’d say Carrey sucks a lot more than Ferrell. Will still makes me laugh.

Will had his moment for sure, but over the years I realized he plays the exact same character in everything. The novelty kind of wore off.

Okay, I have a morbid curiosity about your logic here, in the same way I am curious about why people are against vaccination, or people think the world is flat, or why a car crash happened, or why ISIS exists. When people have objectively horrorible ideas or opinions that on the face of it can’t be real, I need to know why.

That’s the type of curiosity you have stoked in me.

Also, why would you put Adam Sandler and Will in the same sentence, except to comment that both were in SNL.

The latest This American Life has a great story about the battle for Free Speech on campuses and how big money has gotten involved.

I went down a YouTube rabbit-hole this past weekend and watched like a dozen instances of Farrell’s “Celebrity Jeopardy” skits from SNL. Just damned funny.

“I’ll take ‘Anal Bum Cover’ for 400 Trebek!”

“That’s… ‘An Album Cover’”

“I can READ Trebek!”

The Celebrity Jeopardy episodes with Sean Connery are perhaps the funniest things I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Every time I watch them, I laugh so hard I cry.