Free trade debunked?

Interesting article that looks at the economic performance of Mexico and Vietnam.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,16781,1664984,00.html

NAFTA is a joke. Softwood lumber is just the biggest example. $5 billion in illegal tariffs does not “free trade” make.

WE DON’T NAFTA IF WE DON’T WANNA!!!

I hear Canadians talking about joining the EU instead. Can things really be that bad?

The US doesn’t engage in free trade with anyone but first-world countries, and we get touchy about politically wired industries for that.

Everyone else gets “free trade” on exporting low-value raw materials or manufactures to us. “No trade” on all otehr materials due to huge tariffs on services (why do you think professionals are paid so well?) and agriculture.

Historically, the way to get rich is free and open domestic markets in “strategic trade” industries that are extremely sheltered from foreign competition, property rights for the middling sort, and having a functioning political/economic system that’s not totally corrupt. That’s how the US, UK, and Japan did it, off the top of my head.

Can you name an example? From what I can see, genuine “free trade” remains an abstract concept, not a reality.

Well, mostly free trade. There’s not a whole lot of blockage on canadian imports, for example, with the exception of lumber.

… and power… and water.

Although I should say it’s not blockage, so much as stealage.

And medicine…

Yeah, that’s a whole lotta free trade there.

I hear Canadians talking about joining the EU instead. Can things really be that bad?

The softwood lumber issue is a REAL sore spot. It’s gone before several NAFTA courts, including the highest possible tribunal, and Canada has won on virtually all counts. However, the US administration has refused to return the billions in (illegal) tariffs they have collected over the years. The tariffs have led to massive unemployment in the lumber sector and decimated entire communities, especially in BC.

Basicly, if the US would abide by the treaty that they negotiated and signed in good faith, there’d be no problem. Unfortunately, America only seems to play by the rules when it benefits them.

Considering that the average American boy scout troop probably possess more combat equipment, training, and manpower than the Canadian army, we really don’t have to respect Canada much.

;-)

Thank you Ms. Coulter.

[quote=“Nick_Walter”]

Considering that the average American boy scout troop probably possess more combat equipment, training, and manpower than the Canadian army, we really don’t have to respect Canada much.

;-)[/quote]

Wow, a shot at the Canadian military! How original and current! What will you skewer next with such satirical acumen? Back bacon? Geddy Lee?

Isn’t the Canadian military basically the British military from 1975? By that, I mean literally the British military from 1975, because whenever Britain buids a new battleship or orders 100 tanks, the old ones are sold to Canada for something like $900 million, and then they break down within a couple of weeks?

It’s cheap, yes, but that doesn stop the terms “Canada” and “Military” from producing a supernova of mirth whenever they meet.

What the god damn fucking hell are you shitheads talking aboot?

BTW, the aforementioned song with which Canada buys old UK warships is “I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK…”

He refers to my unedited post, which incorrectly assumed the Canadians got the old junkers for cheap, for a song. When, in fact, the last batch was almost a billion dollars worth of decrepid diesel subs, one of which had a fire and broke down on the way back to Canada

Too subtle?

Too subtle?[/quote]

Apparently so. I chuckled though :)

Too subtle?[/quote]

Apparently so. I chuckled though :)[/quote]

I got it when I saw it, I just had to issue a missive so that the other comedy made sense :)

I personally think that Canada either needs to become the 51st state, legit (or is it 52nd? I dunno how many states you guys have. Does Iraq count?) - OR, they need to drop NAFTA and all the rest of the shit that makes Canada the USAs retarded cousin and start selling everything to other nations. Like China.

Because I’m sure North Dakota doesn’t get fucked as much as Canada does by the rest of the union.

Iraq is a rental, we have to return it and pay for damages. Too bad we didn’t take the insurance option the nice clerk offered us.

If you think North Dakota takes less crap than Canada, you’ve never tried to get free health care in North Dakota ;-)

I personally think that Canada either needs to become the 51st state

Depending on who wins the next election we might possibly be trying to make our unofficial status official.