Freedom of the press

The last 10 years have seen some big changes in freedom of the press and protection of journalists. Here’s a new story in the vein:

Where does this fall on the political spectrum? Unchecked capitalism? The erosion of constitutional rights?

It’s even worse now:
Breaking: ND Prosecutor Seeks “Riot” Charges Against Amy Goodman For Reporting On Pipeline Protest[quote=“Clay, post:1, topic:126495”]
Where does this fall on the political spectrum? Unchecked capitalism? The erosion of constitutional rights?
[/quote]

I don’t know, both probably. It’s unsettling that an attorney general thinks taking this course of action is in any way warranted, it’s like the clock has been turned back 100 years. I mean, if ND was North Dakota, brought to you by Chevron, it wouldn’t be any different.

Erosion of rights is the category. Capitalism can only sway this sort of thing when your fundamental rights have been eroded. Historically the idea of the press serving jail time for doing their job would have been laughed at. Now it’s considered a possibility. Anti-SLAPP suits need to be created nationally imo, along with significant financial penalties for civil rights violations. It would knock a lot of this shit out before it even thought about getting started. Instead moneyed powers that be can use it as a chilling effect on bad PR or investigation.

Living here in Bismarck, people are pretty well polarized on this issue. I try like hell to stay off the topic, as I don’t want my neighbors mad at me. This protest has been front page every day on the Bismarck Tribune for…I don’t know; many weeks or even months now. Every day. I can see both sides of the issue. That said:

But yeah, when I read the story a few days ago in the local paper that she was being prosecuted as a rioter, I was instantly embarrassed to live here. And up until now, as far as I know, that prosecutor had been a perfectly common prosecutor. I cannot imagine what inspired this grand move.

Edit: Yes I can.

I imagine that it might be because these protesters have been amazingly efficient in their protests. They’ve been stubborn, have come out in droves, chain themselves to equipment, and just will not give up, even as winter here approaches. They are making a lot of people very, very angry, as they have been nothing but a total nuisance to deal with as far as law enforcement. So, basically, their protests have been effective. Which pissed of our prosecutor.

One of the great strengths and terrible weaknesses of a republic is the local autonomy to both fight the good fights against the wrongs by the centralized government and be backwards, idiotic assholes with local autonomy. It’s a double edged sword, but mostly things get appealed to federal courts and things are resolved. It does waste a lot of time and money though.

I mean that was going to happen. That nothing will happen to the people that vomited up such a bullshit charge is the real issue. Because they will do it again as will others.

+1000.

It’s really shocking and it has received very little attention. :(

Isn’t that just status quo and the system working though? Small local officials are numerous and the odds of the US having a handful that abuse their power and the system is always going to be high. As long as nothing comes of it when the case goes through the system I’m not seeing a cause for serious concerns.

Maybe? All it takes is one sympathetic judge to ruin a person’s life (if even that). Most people don’t get national media coverage. Most people don’t get anything other than screwed over with no recourse. That’s why a lot of them take shitty plea deals - they can’t afford to actually defend themselves. Going after reporters is somewhat of a new low though, if she qualifies as a ‘rioter’ then everyone without press creds is pretty well screwed.

The problem is that your rights only mean something if people can’t shit on them. Let’s say you film a cop doing something illegal. Cop demands your phone. Legally he can’t. He takes it. You’re fucked and the evidence is destroyed. Cop suffers no consequences. Hell maybe he charges you with something.

The government shouldn’t be able to charge people with whatever at will with no consequences. Even if you get off, everyone wont and being legally charged with crimes has an effect on people and their lives. They had no probable cause and no law was broken. She was still arrested and charged. That’s some serious bullshit, even if the charges got dropped.

Edit: Somewhat related:

So for the 2nd time in a week a reporter has been manhandled or arrested by government or law enforcement while attempting to ask questions of officials. Today it was the head of the National Press Club’s Press Freedom Team:

Last week (I think who the hell can tell at this point with the pace of news) it was someone trying to ask Tom Price a question.