Freelancer - Begging for an Expansion

I also like the core gameplay in Freelancer and wish for more missions and mission types. Multiplay is a lot of fun especially when you get 5 or 6 guys together in a group.

I also like the “busy” space. It isn’t realistic but some of my best and most exciting missions have been duking it out amongst the asteroid fields.

Y’know, I love it when people say that various things in space combat games aren’t realistic.

If it was a realistic space combat game, it would be a screensaver of you sitting in your house watching TV.

Well, there’s a difference between an arcade shooter and a game that tries to create the illusion of more complex elements (like sensors for example). You have to admit the bots and bats are, as many have noted, essentially potions. The more I play the more I’m halfway surprised there aren’t floating power-ups out there.

Still, I too like the core gameplay in the sense that the actual crunchy parts of the game are fun. Where the core gameplay sucks raw is having a static economy, fixed factional relationships (different factions should change in relation to each other whether by random event or as a function of military and economic shifts), and a system based mainly on powering up to the single best combat vessel available (maybe work some strategic elements in there so one can really help a faction succeed in its goals). Yeah, I’m having fun now but when everyone is flying the same ship and nothing we do effects anything in the world and we all know where the juicy trade runs are (but have absolutely no incentive to fly them) where’s the game then?

Other space sims might not have the very nice look and feel of Freelancer but they at least tried to expand on the old formula somewhat. This is just the same old thing with multiplayer tacked on.

Yeah, I’m having fun now but when everyone is flying the same ship and nothing we do effects anything in the world and we all know where the juicy trade runs are (but have absolutely no incentive to fly them) where’s the game then?

Brian, we have agreed ecstatically on where the future of Dynamic Gaming should go, so obviously that stuff you would like to see is worthwhile. But there is still a game here, just not a stupendously ambitious one. The leveling/money-grubbing/equipment-buying/exploration hooks are good for >20 hours of gameplay in my opinion (therefore my money’s worth), the shooting action is easy and fun (not unlike Diablo-style games), and the thing is well polished – it looks handsome, the interface is clean, there’s just a good solid feel to it all around.

So there is a game. It’s just not the worldshaker many of us hoped it would be.