FreeLancer : Good game AND good sales?

Will Microsoft marketing result in good sales of FreeLancer ?

It’s probably done the same for CFS3.

EDIT : In the interests of not looking like a complete idiot I have amended the subject and post.
:)

First, the game JUST came out, so which sales numbers are we talking about here? ;)

Secondly, I have a feeling people are waiting for more reviews and discussions on it, as its fairly controversial due to its unorthodox control scheme. :)

Edit: AND third, CFS3 was crap upon arrival, and most sim folks were too into IL-2 to care at the time anyway. This is a bit different, as FL has virtually no competition, and is a much better title.

I ordered my copy today and I should get it on Friday. I went by EB yesterday but it was only shipping then…I guess it arrived today. So I ordered it online (I am on Spring Break and don’t want to go to the store again…heh). Anyway, I am really looking forward to diving in this weekend. I’ll post my opinion on it, if anyone cares. I have been playing Space Sims since the X-Wing days, so I am used to Joystick. I guess that makes me qualified to say how different the mouse thing feels (I have heard it is great though).

I hope you’ll enjoy it. The mouse thing is indeed great, in my opinion.

I love the mouse control. I aim better with it. My desk isn’t really laid out well for a stick, either.

I actually think it’ll be a commercial success, which will help the genre, despite the views to the contrary expressed here in other threads (I didn’t contribute to them because I was working on GameSpot’s review)

Did you order from OS Sean? I haven’t been able to pin down an Australian release date yet.

I don’t know if it will be a big game, but I suspect it will be the bestselling space sim we’ve had in quite some time.

No I haven’t. I am going to buy it from EB here in Aussie. The release date for us is 24/3/2003.

No I haven’t. I am going to buy it from EB here in Aussie. The release date for us is 24/3/2003.[/quote]

Thanks!

Sigh.

What “Microsoft marketing juggernaught”? The same one that made Asheron’s Call 2 a household name? The one that made sure Impossible Creatures was on everyone’s most-wanted list?

Microsoft is pushing hard, hard, hard on its Xbox efforts, but it isn’t doing a damn thing about its PC games, and for better or for worse, most of its PC games aren’t even worth bothering with anyway these days.

Gamers/reviewers seem to actually like Freelancer, though. Impossible Creatures pretty much sucked, and AC2 got a lukewarm reception at best.

I guess what I’m saying is, the “marketing juggernaut” isn’t relevant until your games are worth playing in the first place.

The point I was trying to make was that in order to be a “marketing juggernaut,” you actually have to do some marketing.

If you’re confident in your marketing juggernauthood, there’s no need to show off.

What “Microsoft marketing juggernaught”? The same one that made Asheron’s Call 2 a household name? The one that made sure Impossible Creatures was on everyone’s most-wanted list?

Microsoft is pushing hard, hard, hard on its Xbox efforts, but it isn’t doing a damn thing about its PC games, and for better or for worse, most of its PC games aren’t even worth bothering with anyway these days.[/quote]

Heh, exactly. The Microsoft “marketing juggernaught” let its last two space sims, Starlancer and Allegience (the latter was even a good game) become the biggest commercial bombs the genre has ever seen [size=2]er, until Independence War 2 came along last year [/size]

I know you liked Freespace 2 allot, but that game didn’t exactly burn up the charts either Desslock. :wink:

Yeah, the genre’s been dead for a while. Still, even FS2 outsold Starlancer and Allegience by a considerable margin. That game is still the best space sim today, and should still be in production and taking shelf space, instead of going for $80 on ebay.

I think Freelancer will at least reverse the recent trend of every successive sim selling worse than the previous ones (although I guess Bridge Commander did o.k., although not anywhere near as well as Totally Games’ Star Wars games).

I think it will do well.

Its very easy to get into, and because the graphics are not cutting edge it runs damn smooth on lots of hardware.

olaf

You can have my Freespace 2 when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

And besides, Bridge Commander wasn’t newarly as good as the Star Wars games. Many minutes of “clicking menus in a predefined order and listening to voiceovers as your reward” doesn’t make a game immersive, it makes it boring.

Don’t forget Crimson Skies- great game, poor sales. How about Mechwarrior or Mechcommander? The only PC property MS has with any revenue is Ensemble’s Age series. Everyone likes to talk about how Microsoft’s resources can make a hit out of anything, but that doesn’t hold up.