FreeSpace 2 question

Hey guys,

I just came on here to take a look and noticed a few references to FreeSpace 2 threads. I love the game, cried when I lost the discs during a move and bought a copy on eBay which should be here early next week. Thing is, I seem to recall that high-res play was available only on Glide. Anyone using a Glide emulator for this purpose?

[edit]fixed “movie” to “move”[/edit]

which movie?

Whoah, that’s a clever typo. :shock:

“move”, not movie.

>I just came on here to take a look and noticed a few references to FreeSpace 2 threads. I love the game, cried when I lost the discs during a move and bought a copy on eBay which should be here early next week. Thing is, I seem to recall that high-res play was available only on Glide. Anyone using a Glide emulator for this purpose?

That’s incorrect - the high resolution is available in Direct 3D and glide. There are only two available resolutions 640x480 and 1024x768. One tip on the high res. version - you may need to select the override Z buffer in the settings, or textures will clip through others. That was a setting I had to adjust when I played it through last week.

I could swear that 1024x768 was never offered in D3D. :/ Shows what 6 months spent living with Tom Alco-Ohle will do to even the best minds.

Heh, maybe you didn’t have a primary card at the time you were playing it capable of running that resolution, and 3DFX cards defaulted to glide. Glide would get you a better frame rate, but that’s moot now unless you’re running an old computer.

In case that setting crap I mentioned was confusing, I looked it up again. It’s the “Disable Direct3D Zbuffer bias” checkmark in the video setup menu (prior to starting the game). You’ll probably need to check that (but take a look at how the large ships look in the technical database first, to see if you have a problem).

Last time I tried it I had a GF2. The only option I recall was 640x480. In fact I was frustrated enough to turn 4XAA on. Before that was of course my trusty Voodoo5.

>Last time I tried it I had a GF2. The only option I recall was 640x480. In fact I was frustrated enough to turn 4XAA on. Before that was of course my trusty Voodoo5.

I know what happened – you didn’t install the high resolution textures – that was a separate option you had to check in the original release of the game.

:shock: <- constipated with my stupidity.

Didn’t the hi-res textures also require the mammoth 1.2GB install? Or was it like 800MB? I can’t recall now…

–Dave

1.2 GB doesn’t seem so mammoth now, not when you have games like Divine Divinity (2.5 GB) and UT 2003 (3 GB) to pack your hard discs… :?

pfft, I’m near my max on a 30 and a 20 gb hard drive, and i had to reshuffle for space to get DD, UT2k3 and Mafia installed. What a pain in the butt… I think the three games I mentioned are alone 10 gb of space… totally cwazy! Like remember the days when 1/2 a gig was HUGE? Now thats piddly sized! Ah time keeps a rollin n stuff.

etc

It seems like only yesterday that I was freaking out over the Master of Magic installation. “Twenty-four megabytes!? Are they out of their minds?” :D

Haha Master of Magic was a bitter, bitter pill to swallow, back on a 120MB hard drive. I had to say goodbye to Windows 3.1, but oh well, sacrifices have to be made.

I mean, up until then the biggest game on my hard drive was Wing Commander 2, at paltry 10MB or so.

1,2 GB was mammoth on my 10 Gb hard drive. I had 500 Mb free space left after that install.

I’m guessing you did the “Save Space” option, and not “Save Time”, then? :P Ah, memories…

I remember installing Star Trek Judgement Rites and going to the movies while the files were uncompressing. They were still chugging along when I got home 4 hours later. First game I bought that had 12 floppy disks.

Baaad memories right there.

My friend did the same on his 486SX2/50. The same computer take took a minute to display 640x480 JPGs…