Freeware / indie game requests

Well, randomly vindictive is sort of in their mission statement, I’m pretty sure. So there’s contractual obligations to fill there, and a postscript to a great list is a good place for it.

Maybe I missed it, but that list doesn’t have the Spiderwebsoft games, which are some of the best indie games I’ve played.

It did, however, remind me that I needed to DL Freespace Open. So thanks for that!

Wesnoth is pretty intriguing and some of the scenarios seem almost impossible at the hard level. I picked this up on troy G’s recommendation and I have enjoyed it.

Yeah, I think the hard difficulty exists only for the hateable savebabies. The medium difficulty is brutal enough if you just play straight through strategy games like I like to do.

Our very own Jason Lutes did at least some of the art for that game. I’m not exactly sure which of the stuff he did, but I’m sure he could tell us…

Speaking of which, I haven’t played that game in nearly two years. I should check out the newer builds to see how it’s evolved.

Also, this year’s PAX 10 have been announced:

The games featured in the showcase are: The Amazing Brain Train, a puzzle strategy game by Grubby Games, Dylan Fitterer’s rhythm racer Audio Surf, puzzle platformer Chronotron by Scarybug Games and Impulse by students from Rochester Institute of Technology.

Twisted Pixel Games’ action adventure The Maw is also a winner, as is Polarity by students from Carnegie Mellon University, action game Project Aftermath by Games Faction, strategy game Schizoid by Torpex Games and the puzzle games Strange Attractors 2 by Ominous Development and Sushi Bar Samurai by Molly Rocket.

I’d take their descriptions with a grain of salt though. As far as I know, Schizoid is closer to Geometry Wars than a strategy game…

To me, it’s more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. If you don’t make the exact right moves, I found, you lost. I didn’t enjoy it.

Yup – that about sums it up for me. (And Fire Emblem too.)

Oh, and Here’s another top 100 list.

Not to disparage that Caltrops list posted above, but that one had an awful lot of weirdness to it, while the GameTunnel one is based mostly on scores over there years from a panel of established indie game personalities. (Though that list too had its share of controversy.)

Wesnoth is great, but it can be unforgiving if you don’t plan ahead. In particular, there’s a positive feedback loop in mission performance, so that the game gets easier as you play well, and harder as you play poorly.

• Alan

Yeah, I’ve been through about ten great lists and got a lot of good stuff, I was just missing those things in the OP. I think my requests are probably all taken care of with suggestions here, but I haven’t gotten to try them yet.

I have to admit that although I’m a little cynical about the glut of quirky platformers in the indie scene, I’m really enjoying Cave Story.

Self-promotion on: I did a smattering of unit portraits, but all of the portraits for the “Liberty” campaign are by me. It was my favorite campaign for Wesnoth when I was playing a lot of it, so I asked the author if I could do the portraits, and he agreed to let me.

Not enough love for Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden in this thread. This game is basically one of the best JRPGs I’ve ever played.

This guy isn’t kidding, that one’s worth playing if you’ve ever played any JRPG in your life. If you haven’t, you won’t get any of the jokes.