Frostpunk - This War of Mine, steampunk, apocalyptic snow

I’m to understand that I can stream this today. I’ll probably do so later

I dunno if this game’s for me.

Frostpunk: Will you do these horrible things…to survive???

Me: No.

Frostpunk: Fine, well, you die and lose, then.

Me: OK. (shuts off PC)

Johnny Cash, Machiavelli and Kierkegaard walk into a bar?

If only it wasn’t the same day as Battletech we’d be on to something. Giant stompy robots win this bar fight.

The timing sucks. I can wait until it goes on sale somewhere.

Really looking forward to this. I played Banished, where you routinely move 10-year-olds into cabins together so they can procreate and make more laborers for the good of the colony. I have no qualms of even using pixel people for food as required.

Oh, and mechs are stupid. ;)

On a more serious note, I think Frostpunk looks kind of freaking awesome and I hope it IS awesome, and people like it, because it’s on my list and I’m excited for the time when I can jump into it (probably after Pillars 2 gets its due). I’m keeping an eager eye on this thread for impressions!

RPS reviewed is this morning: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/23/frostpunk-review/

Short-form: the reviewer liked the base building but found the ethics system and people management very dry.

So far, I’m finding the ethical quandaries pretty dry too. They just have no impact on my decisions outside of the numbers. They’re presented with (gorgeous) art and text that’s supposed to make me feel like I’m making hard decisions about people’s lives, but there’s just no impact. Pixel people A will die if I do this, but then pixel people B will die if I do that instead. Shrug. I find myself just choosing whatever I think will give me the best situational outcome. The virtual people’s lives don’t enter into it.

What game are we talking about, they both have giant robots. :|

PC gamer liked it.

And a few more:

Frostpunk has Battletech beat in one way at least. It releases two hours earlier. Downloading now. Hopefully, I’ll get to see a little bit of it before work.

I’ve also preloaded Battletech.

Yeah also installing, and of course I have to head out in like an hour.

And launch trailer…

So my first game didn’t go so well…

Ha! Me, too. The game’s hard, but I wasn’t really expecting anything different. I thought wood would be the critical resource, but once coal starts to get a bit scarce, it gets used up super quick. It really pays to keep a steady flow of coal and not grow complacent (e.g. “Ah, I’ve got 899 coal – no worries!”). Still, I saw the end coming, so I have no one to blame but myself.

It’s pretty great so far.

Any sense of how well will this work with a steam controller? Are keyboard inputs pretty frequent?

I’ve played it with just the mouse and hitting space every once in a while to pause. I don’t own a Steam controller, but I imagine it’s going to be pretty rough to control with anything other than mouse and keyboard (building streets is easily done by dragging the mouse, same for placing buildings, etc.).

Lost my 2nd game on day 17, ack!

Tips for playing:

I’m only on day 5, but I play really slow. Does the temp drop to -40 every time on Day 4? I’ve got a lot of sick people.

I too, am really liking this game. Battletech is downloading in the background, but I’m thinking I’ll play this until frostbite sets in.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the scenarios are the same each time in regards to temperature drops. I could be wrong, but I remember it doing the same in all of my games

The temperature goes back up every once in awhile, but generally speaking it will continue to drop at a steady pace throughout the month and half you have to weather. I really like this game so far! I made it to about day 40 but was completely unprepared and made it that far only by the skin of my teeth. Thankfully my people all kicked me out before they froze to death and starved so I didn’t have to watch that =)