Frostpunk - This War of Mine, steampunk, apocalyptic snow

Frostpunk, Day 1:

Mark: You won’t break me, Frostpunk. I know your plan- get me to subsume my humanity 'neath a brutal utilitarian calculus, turning me as cold and merciless as the unnatural winter you portray. Not gonna happen, buddy. I will resist. For what good is victory at the price of my soul?

ONE MINUTE LATER

Mark: Oh good, the homeless man died. He was bringing the whole settlement down. Put him in the soup.

Mark’s Brain: She was a woman, actually.

Mark: I don’t care.

LOL yes. This game enforces a very pragmatic style of play. I don’t care that your wife is distraught and ran away. one less mouth to feed, and distraught people don’t WORK!

That was my issue above. I don’t particularly care about these people as people, despite the game’s presentation of bleak and harrowing suffering. I care about them as resources to be used efficiently, then cleanly done away with so the rest of the colony can move on.

I guess that’s the point?

Does this feel city-builderish, or something completely different? Do the survival elements make it feel like there is one true path? What game would you say this is the most similar too?

Definitely a city builder, cannot answer tge others yet.

If you only lasted a day and a half that’s how my Battle Brothers challenge went. Battle Brothers Ignominy Challenge

I am learning a few things regarding resource management and proper staffing for sure.
The game is pretty good overall, they nailed the setting and feeling of dread.
Scouting is super important as is food and coal supply.
I am still not good at keeping coal stocks up. But sadly my latest try didn’t turn out well. I blame the soup. I last checked on day 42, many people died in my city…
I did horrible things but I did made it to day 44! It got really cold. And then things went really bad for me.

And I want to know how the heck almost 14% of all players got this acheivment, its like they are playing a different game…

My city? 200+ deaths… D:

Spoilered the last few if you don’t want to see how this failure ended.

Seen a number of reviews saying it isn’t a true city builder if you’re expecting something open ended or sandboxy. It is a linear story game with city building elements, I guess.

I don’t need sandboxy since I prefer to have the game set objectives for me. I just would like some freedom within those objectives.

True, it is not a sandbox per se, but I would still call it a city builder. I mean, 95% of what you do is city building. The little moral dilemmas are effectively just little quests and the like.

I am gonna watch a few of this Streamers videos, he seems like a damn pro at this game, look at the size of the city in the 3rd video! He ran out of space in the freaking crater!

Just watched someone pulling it through, somehow. Damn that music, it stressed the hell out of me. It’s interesting to think about the aftermath of the horrible decisions after the end.
It seems like it becomes easier once you know the challenges, but I don’t think there’s an easy way around that issue.

Now to watch The Terror, to keep the theme.

IGN review is up:

Yeah seriously watch that guys 3 part video series, heck just the first video allowed me to get this far on my current attempt. I think I might make it! Also , Automatons are awesome!

Don’t forget to check the heat map every few days, especially after building spree’s.

I focused on Order this time instead of Faith.

Scouting makes a huge difference , so many resources!

I am pretty sure this game is gonna be in my top 10 games of the year list. :D

vR8qCsg

After a frustrating day at work, I couldn’t face my suffering town. So, I went off and shot up some mechs. I will muster the intestinal fortitude to try and save my town at some point. This game is really good, and I feel a lot of affection for my little sims, but that just means I suffer along with them as they sicken and lose appendages due to frostbite, the poor buggers.

Based on what I’ve read, this game strikes me as a puzzle in need of a solution, meaning there are minimal (if any) random elements to it. What makes one attempt different from the next one?

The random elements of it are a huge part of the game. Scouting and people getting hurt, along with research and laws you pick change it up quite a bit.

I don’t know about randomization yet. I will say that as a city builder neophyte, I am finding this very engaging. I am constantly making decisions about how to budget my limited resources, and I am afraid of the cold. This might make it different from other city builders, which seem to my untrained eye to be more of a (ahem) chill experience.

So you’re both saying I should continue to follow it on Steam. Thanks, I think. :-)

In complete honesty, I like this game a lot, but I am a little hesitant because I haven’t played it as much as I’d like. It reminds me of Banished meets King of Dragon Pass, but the good bits of both. I’m just not sure as to the depth of the game.