Frostpunk - This War of Mine, steampunk, apocalyptic snow

As to depth, I know there are other choices I could be making with my resources. What I do not know is how wise those choices are. I will say that on its face I think there certainly seem to be other things I could be doing that would represent legitimate paths for success.

I don’t know where to post this, so here it comes, sorry for the off-topic.

DO WANT!

There just might be a city builder thread around here. Maybe. Which would be worth posting to, because folks would certainly be interested in this.

Great to hear the game is doing well and really appreciate all the updating you’ve been doing in the forum lately. I’m going to forget how to google things for myself at this rate.

No thanks needed, just sharing things that interest me and I feel others might have missed in the daily flood of gaming news that comes out. :)

The one thing that makes me a little reluctant to get this title is that it seems like once you play through the main scenario there’s very little incentive to do it again. That might be a phantom issue for me since I rarely replay things, so maybe it’s more important that the scenario is good in the first place. However I’ve seen this lack of replayability mentioned in a couple of reviews. And with things like Battletech and POE 2 vying for my money I think my plan is to put this on my wish list and wait for it to go on sale down the line.

Yeah I can totally see what you mean, I am on track now that I know what I am doing , to finish the main story in about 4-5 hours. So around 8 hours total with my first few failures. You can of course replay it and make different choices to get different achievements. Someone mentioned the 2 scenarios that are also included add another 4-6 hours of game play. So without question you can pretty much complete everything currently offered in under 15 hours.

I still think for the level of game quality and content offered, it was priced right. I’d rather have a more concise experience vs one that is stretched out too long.

So, after 8 Hours of play I finished the first scenario. I have been playing games since I was, let’s go with 7, so that means 32 years. This game is tied for the closest run finale I’ve ever had in a game. It was…exhilarating.

So let’s talk about what it isn’t: There doesn’t seem to be much randomness. There’s two other scenarios, which look cool, and there’s a whole other tech tree for me to play with, and that should make for a different experience. There’s also playing it again but trying not to be terrible this time, which should be good for funsies. But that’s it. So if you’re looking for an experience with “legs” then this is absolutely not it.

What it IS is a fantastic, bespoke experience. I felt like I was getting all the benefits of a crafted scenario while also getting to make all kinds of choices to make things better. Or, in my case, worse. I absolutely love the setting- the music, the art style…and all of the mechanics work hand in glove with the world they’ve created. Theme is married to gameplay. By the end I was desperately wringing anything I could out of the vast, creaking, unwieldy machine I had created, and my victory came by the thinnest margin imaginable. DAMN, that’s good. That is exactly the sort of game I was hoping for, and that is what they gave me. I paid $24, the price of a night at the movies, and I already have had an experience that will live in my memory equal to a great popcorn flick. Anything else I get from it is just…frosting.

edit: just posted this as my steam review!

Great review of the game and congratulations on persevering for the win.

I’ll definitely get this at some point, thanks for the review. Just not sure I need this right now - even if GMG sent me a 25% off voucher. I too rather have a really good 10-20 hours and not a decent 50.

The UX team for this should get a damn medal. Really, really well done.

I’m only a couple hours in (which is apparently halfway through, zing!) but I’m digging the heck out of this.

I wonder if they have any plans to support mods. The game seems like it would be easy to build content for.

Dumb question: what is the difference between UX and UI?

More seriously, UI is the actual literal interface, the buttons and widgets and such. UX is the whole, like, experience, man.

Gotcha, thanks! And I totally agree with you.

User Experience vs User Interface.

UX is also about how they feel playing the game, the optimization, satisfaction with a product and other things besides the interface.

Here is a decent article on it:

So, just saw a review on the game, and the POV is slightly different because the person doing it is from Romania. And he doesn’t have quite the same interpretation on events that the game has. Truth be told, the stuff he talks about, I also have a different interpretation, but I’m old enough that some kids worked when I was young. Pretty much all non rich kids worked when my father was young.

But I’m not that old. We’re talking the 80’s, I’m 41. And my country came out of a dictatorship 3 years before I was born. People can deal with harsh conditions for far longer than 40 days. And this is in non Apocalypse conditions. And isn’t the game pretty much set in Industrial Revolution Britain? You know, Oliver Twist times?

Still looks great, but I think I’m going to wait for a sale, if the game is going to call me a fascist I want it to be cheap. :D

The game gives you many laws and options to play how you like. You’ll only be called a Fascist if you play one :)