Frozen 2 - Snow Boogaloo

Yeah dude I dunno about thaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I’m just saying I’d rather a Moana sequel. That said, I’ll see Frozen II. It’s pretty much a given.

Alright, whatever. My kids no longer have any interest in it. I’m pretty sure that horrible short that ran before Moana (I think? Am I remembering right?) killed any interest in more Frozen content for a lot of people.

Was that the Christmas special?

Yeah. That thing was a steaming turd, and it went on for like 25 minutes.

And it was before Coco, not Moana. My bad!

Due the kids are so into this. My sister and her lil one can’t wait.

I loved Frozen, but this one looks … kinda meh.

Also, I don’t think Disney Animation (i.e., the classic Disney Animation studio, not Pixar) has ever done a good sequel movie. Like, ever. Well, I guess Lion King 2 wasn’t too bad, but their track record outside of Pixar is abysmal.

Edit: I guess Wreck it Ralph 2 might qualify? Haven’t seen it yet, but at least it’s gotten some good buzz.

They have a lot of stinkers for sure, many direct to video, but Toy Story is definitely towards the top and very good. Monster University holds up by itself and Aladdin King of Thieves was surprisingly good. Wreck it Ralph 2 should have a top spot as you mentioned too.

Their record hasn’t been stellar, but there’s still hope.

Yeah, theater-bound Disney sequels are a fairly recent phenomenon. Most of their sequels in their history were straight-to-video cash-ins, and I can’t imagine they had their A-team on them. No reason to think Frozen 2 won’t match the level of their recent output.

Both Toy Story and Monsters U are Pixar, though - Pixar are definitely better at this. Didn’t like Aladdin 2, personally, though it’s a long time since I watched it.

Actually watched Wreck it Ralph 2 today (Scandinavia months behind, as usual). Not really sure where I’d place it. Felt kind of schizophrenic to me (i.e., not quite sure whether it’s a movie for kids or adults movie) in a way which the best of the kind aren’t, but it wasn’t bad. So I guess that’s one OK sequel (and it’s reviewing pretty well, so I guess I’m a minority in finding it somewhat “meh”).

I do hope they deliver. Frozen along with Moana is one of me and the boy’s favorite Disney movies of the past many years.

Disney owns Pixar, so there is no reason to think that Pixar alone is able to do it. King of Thieves is actually Aladdin 3. Aladdin 2 is awful.

Although it’s true that Disney owns Pixar, Pixar Animation and Disney Animation are two distinct companies, with quite distinct company cultures. It was actually one of the sticking points when Disney acquired Pixar - Pixar were unwilling to agree to a deal, without arrangements to retain the specific company culture and working environment that had brought Pixar success (at a time when Disney Animation was losing money). That’s why - to this day - movies from Pixar Animation are still “Disney Pixar” movies, rather than just Disney. I don’t think Disney has much credit for what was/is achieved by Pixar.

The acquisition of Pixar did spark the so-called Disney Revival and a number of Pixar alumni moving over to Disney Animation, so I’m not without hope, even though the couple of years since Moana seems to be shaping up to be the Disney era of live-action remakes and sequels, with no new IP on the horizon.

I get your point. Cars is Pixar. There isn’t any real great magic there and they’re on No. 3. It’s not as if Pixar only spits out gold.

I guess my point is, there’s no reason to think Disney isn’t going to put some solid effort into their theatrical releases. They still do the straight to home theater, TV series only thing, in addition to full sequels. I have hopes that Frozen 2 will get the appropriate attention it needs.

Disney, not Pixar, does not have a horrible track record of sequels in the theater.

Here’s a list of Disney Animated Theatrical releases.

I honestly can’t see many sequels in that list other than Pixar movies. Apparently Planes was not a Pixar movie, so that could count as a spinoff/sequel to Cars I suppose. And then there was a Planes sequel released, and that one was by DisneyToon Studios as well. Then there was Bambi II. Was that good? It came to the theaters in 2006 apparently. Jungle Book 2 came out in 2003 to the theater, I’ve never heard anything (good or bad) about that one. There’s a whole bunch of Winnie the Pooh related movies (Tigger movie, Piglet movie, etc). I’m not sure if those count as sequels, or even what they’re like.

I can only speak to the Winnie the Pooh ones, but they’re fine. They’re not a sequel in the continuing narrative sense. They’re more like the Marvel movies. Stand alone adventures set in the same universe.

Anyone else ship Elsanna?

Frozen 2: The Return of the King.

Looks pretty intense. I guess they’re counting on the first generation of Frozen fans aging up with it, so they can target a bit higher?

Fingers crossed for the franchise going out with a “Logan” in a few more years.

There are spoilers. They warm you about it.