Frozen Synapse 2

I don’t get hype but I GOT HYPE.

These guys can bugger off.

It is not that I did not enjoy the original game. But one day it just stopped working. It turns out there is a bug in the original that does not allow it to be launched from the Steam client and causes issues connecting in MP. It is a pinned topic on the forums (pinned by the devs) from 2014 with them “working to resolve this problem as soon as possible”. Except they never did. As I am one who was impacted by this bug with no apparent workaround and no response to support tickets input to the developer, I will not support their future products.

Oh crap, I had no idea. That really tempers my enthusiasm.

Did you pursue it much? I can’t imagine they’d intentionally leave you hanging like that.

Imagine it. There is a multi-page thread that they started and then never responded to pinned on the forums. Tickets were submitted. They are more than aware of the issue. They just decided to not fix it.

I paid $4.66 for two copies of the first game back when it was released (a bundle for one copy + a free copy to give away). I was just as the Steam page for it and noticed the first game is now $24.99. Holy crap, I made out like a bandit. Now I’m worried the sequel will cost $9,999,999,999.

As far as I know the first game was always that sort of price (£20/$25) and came bundled with another copy to gift to a friend. Frozen Cortex did the same.

@Granath ah, well that’s crap and I’m sorry to hear it. FS (and FC) were both fantastic and I’ve no doubt FS2 will continue that trend so it’s a shame you’re out.

Only an hour left until the game goes live. Still no idea of purchase price.

fs2

About Frozen Synapse 2

Frozen Synapse 2 takes the distinctive turn-based tactical combat from the original and wraps it in a vast strategy game set in a procedurally generated city.

We’re calling it “open world tactics”.

In single player, Frozen Synapse 2 tasks you with defending the city of Markov Geist against an array of threats from within and without. Set up bases, deploy your forces and then enter any building or engage a target anywhere on the map: you define your own strategy.

You’ll deal with nefarious factions, take on contract work and manage your squads to gain strategic control. The game is inspired by classics like Jagged Alliance 2 and XCOM Apocalypse - we’re done our best to create something with a lot of longevity and depth.

There’s a host of new units like the Smoke Grenade, Flamethrower, Minigun and Knife. and all of the multiplayer modes from the original game make an appearance.

The game will launch on PC today but we hope to have Mac and Linux versions in the not-too-distant future.

OMG pleasebegoodpleasebegood. Apocalypse was my favorite X-Com because of dealing with the factions around the big city. Loved that.

A few reviews in so far:

I’ve listed a lot of niggling complaints with Frozen Synapse 2, but that’s mainly because there’s honestly not that many ways to say how fantastic in both premise and execution its core concept is, and how well its game modes showcase it. It’s still very much an involved strategy game, and not one that transcends its genre enough to convert players with perpetually itchy feet and twitchy thumbs. If painstakingly planning out breaches down to the literal tenth of a second doesn’t appeal to you, you’ll want to look elsewhere. For all you really cool strategy fans, though, fill your cyberpunk boots.

Frozen Synapse 2 is a welcome return to the intensely micromanaged turn-based tactical battles that made the original so compelling. The asynchronous multiplayer is unquestionably the star of the show, and queuing up multiple online games at once means you’re never stuck waiting for an opponent, and that you can play at your own pace. But while the new City Game story mode is conceptually interesting, in practice the largely scripted sequence of story missions doesn’t allow for much in the way of meaningful gameplay depth.

It’s hard not to be drawn in by Frozen Synapse 2’s style, but it’s even harder to pull away once the game’s combat gets its hooks in you. While the single-player mode ambles through both high and low points, the multiplayer remains a steadfastly enjoyable experience.

So it sounds like the city layer isn’t all that great. Might as well stick to the original.

Dammit, I was super excited about the city mode.

Downloading now, 1.8gb.

K, this looks great.

I have a 10% off Steam coupon if anyone wants it.

I played the game for about an hour before I had to go. I ran through the tutorials and completed two contracts in single player. I’m reminded how much I enjoyed the original, and I do enjoy what the contracts add to single player.

The game did crash 3-4 times while processing tactical turns, but because progress is saved each turn I picked right back up where I left off each time. I hope crash bugs are fixed sooner than later though.

I look forward to delving back into multiplayer soon. It’s been years.

I would be fine if the city-layer accommodates the tactical-layer as well as the base-building does in Gladius.

I requested a refund on this for now. I’m getting too many crashes, and it even forces me to reboot sometimes because a crash at start-up can lock my system up.

That and the issue @granath has had with them since the first game, and I’m apprehensive to let my money sit while they work out the kinks. I’ll repurchase if a patch comes out soon that addresses the issue. I did like the hour or two I put into the game when I could play it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Screen%20Shot

Pinned as well on the first game’s forum. It’s not about what was evoked by Granath, but it’s an unfortunate topic title it seems.