FTC Do Not Call registry goes live

Finally. It only took, what, 30 years of loud complaints?

Yeah, but trying to sign up for the do-not-call list is WORSE than signing up for Star Wars galaxies. The do not call list web server is either dead or dying.

I’ve been at it since 8 am this morning. Finally got my confirmation email an hour ago, but can’t get into the link provided to finish registering.

Were’s the conspiracy theorists around here? I bet there could be a consiracy where all the telemarketers have conspiratorily conspired to slam the site so that regular folks can’t use it.

Either that or they’ve already figured out a crack to harvest all the email addresses from it :roll:

I signed up our home and cell phone numbers late last night. I figured most of the east coast was sleeping & that would be my best chance. It was very fast. :P

1,000/sec. are registering. They are constantly adding servers and re-configuring as we speak according to the governemnt spokesman.

Can somebody get their number and post it in an SWG thread or email it to Raph?

P.S. I still cannot access the site.

Hah, I did it last night. Suckers!

Just got in for home, but here at work, the telemarketers must be trying to get them all under the wire. In the last hour I have received 8 calls regarding my long distance svc. and yellow pages ads. No kidding.

I vaguely remember reading that there was a concern that registering could actually make things worse for you–that foreign-based telemarketing cos would harvest the phone numbers, or that your email would attract spam. Is that stuff not true?

I put myself on the list. I hope it works. Burn in hell, you telemarketing fucks!

Let’s hear from Bill Hicks again, shall we, boys and girls?

“By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I’m just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they’ll take root. I don’t know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there’s no rationalization for what you do, and you are Satan’s little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You’re the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. ‘There’s gonna be a joke coming…’ There’s no fucking joke coming, you are Satan’s spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are fucks and you are fucking us, kill yourselves, it’s the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.”

My wife signed us up. I just wish it worked for ALL telemarketers. Many use random dialing and stuff and others have not agreed to follow this list. suxors. We need laws against telemarketing!

You can sue the ones that refuse to follow (or hand it off to the state) for like 10k a pop. It’s not voluntary.

Are you sure about that? Do you have a link or anything that supports that? Also, how would you go about doing that? I could use the extra money, and I would love to get them to see that they need to stop calling me.

Pre-do not call list you could sue for something like $350 a pop (Junkbusters.com has a lot of stuff). I’m not sure if you can still do that, but all the media reports insist they’ve got an $11,000 fine coming every time they violate the list (subject to exceptions for charities and whatnot).

Do pollsters and people who just want to give me information count as telemarketers? The last few days I’ve been getting calls from people who “don’t want to sell me anything” but want to ask me questions about products and give me information about auto insurance rates.

Check out the info on the page, Mark. It has a FAQ. The insurance industry and pollsters (along with - ugh - long distance companies and a few others) are among those exempt from the registry. It’s companies not covered by the FTC that are still allowed, apparently.

There’s an FCC proposal in the works right now to extend the DNC registry to include many non-FTC-regulated industries as well. I need to find out the details on this so we can spread the word that folks need to push the FCC to pass that.

That’s what I thought. There are a lot of exemptions. I think charities are also exempt. Most of the people we are listing here on the ones that call me all the time. It looks like the only thing this list will solve, at least in my case, is the call for credit cards and possibly loan consolidations.

Dammit. Stupid courts.

heh, and guess what? the telemarkerters have the list. So now they have a list of last-chance numbers they can call, to cram in the sales in case the final decision isnt in their favor.

I stopped all telemarketing a while back by canceling my landline and switching to cell only. More expensive, but it works.

Until they get your cell phone number. I’ve got one once. And then you realize you had to pay for the call, you get really pissed.