FTL, space rogue-like

When we were playing Traveler, and it had to be somewhere between 1979 and 1982, because we were all in college, what I remember the most was constantly rolling characters, who invariably would be like 60 years old by the time you finished generating them, at least, if you wanted a ship or other good stuff. World’s only geriatric space opera.

You guys are jerks. I want to play this game right now, but I can’t. Why couldn’t you have made this thread AFTER the open beta? :(

Hey, there’s this thing called the internet now. People use it to play roleplaying games “online” (whatever that means). Maybe we could try this crazy contraption out and get an old school campaign going with those new Mongoose Traveller books?

I have been hoping to try this game, now there’s a way to play it:

Big news times three!
FTL Demo Available!
OnLive asked us to take part in their Indie Showcase, which is an event where the public can try a number of IGF Nominees and Honorable Mentions. It lasts two weeks starting February 27th to coincide with the festival itself. If you sign up for a free OnLive account you can try an alpha demo of FTL right now! Go to the OnLive site or their Facebook page to get started!
If you like the game you can also…
Support FTL on Kickstarter!
We are running a 30 day long Kickstarter along with the demo. If you’ve never heard of Kickstarter, it’s a website where independent creative projects can receive funding from the community through a pledge and reward system. If we reach our goal of $10,000, backers receive rewards including pre-order copies, beta access, posters, art and custom events. If we don’t reach our goal we will not receive any of the funds and backers will not receive their rewards, so help us make sure it succeeds! You can find the Kickstarter project here!
You probably noticed, but in addition…
We Will Have a Closed Beta!
Pledging at least $25 on Kickstarter will give access to our closed beta. You can not only play the game as it progresses, but also take part in our development process by giving us your feedback and suggestions. Check the Kickstarter page to get extra info on the beta and its restrictions.
The exact dates of the beta are uncertain but we hope to start it within a couple months. Your funds are vital for making the beta, and ultimately the project, successful. Please help us make sure FTL is the best game it can possibly be!

That’s awesome that they’re already over 70% of the way to their goal!

I think it’s pretty cool what OnLive is doing with these IGF games. Just burned through that 30 minute trial on FTL and the games is a lot of fun. Even the lo-fi pixel art graphics have grown on me, and I really like the song from the trailer. I skipped the tutorial, but figured out how most of the stuff works, but not before I lost my first crew member to damage control duty. Managing power systems and dispatching repair crews and spending scrap on system upgrades sounds like a good time to me. Unfortunately I didn’t get boarded, so I don’t know what that on ship combat will play like.

Definitely recommend everybody check out the demo through OnLive. The only weirdness with the streaming setup was the mouse control was a bit touchy, like it had some weird acceleration on the remote machine that felt awkward. It didn’t feel laggy, just imprecise.

The mouse was a little floaty for me too, which can get a little frustrating when the game revolves around clicking little bits. I assumed that it was due to a combination of OnLive and my bad connection. Not a big deal, since I wouldn’t be playing the released game on OnLive.

That said, the 30-minute trial was a blast. Managing the internals of a ship is a nice change from the other space games I’ve played recently, where the ship is a black box. It reminds me a little of Space Station 13, but on a different scale. Very fun.

The Kickstarter was around 130% this morning. Happy for the devs.

I’m totally backing this. Also, they are now up to 150%.

Holy crap!

I’m in.

I considered going the $100 and seeing what a cluster they could make of “Aleksandr Bismarck”, but then I saw reason. And by “saw reason” I mean “saw my other half, looking over my shoulder.”

Just backed it too. Looks very nice.

Yep, backed it as soon as I saw it, after initial qualms about OnLive. I’m surprised integration is easier than Desura or others (if that’s the real reason) but I guess if it’s part of the IGF showcase that makes sense …

Also yeah, avoiding that whole early piracy issue this way seems pretty solid. It’s just too bad that onlive’s built-in floatiness is a particularly bad fit for this type of game (clicking on small icons). Still, used up my 30 minutes and jonesing for more. Good sign.

Glad to hear you folks who tried it on OnLive liked it. :) I also tossed 'em some money. Between this and Drox Operative, 2012 is looking pretty good for space games so far.

Man, and it just keeps on going. They’re almost at 200% already. Is this common? I notice that the number of $100 backers keeps increasing slowly but surely, which is interesting. It goes to show what people are willing to pay when something really fits their niche (and the extra benefits don’t hurt).

The DoubleFine guys asked for a kickstart of $400,000 and were given ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. Or $2,000,000. I forget which.

I think if you have something people want and you offer to give it to them painlessly, people will give you money for that. A revelation that eludes certain major entertainment publishers.

I bought five copies of Dungeons of Dredmor because the $5 they wanted was entirely too low, so I was happy to stump up $25 here and would probably have gone higher if the Bismarck Financial Board of Control hadn’t been peering over my shoulder.

I was one of those $100 backers. Normally I don’t go so high on a Kickstarter but this seemed like it had a very good chance of not being vaporware and it is exactly the kind of game I love to play (and would like to make at some point).

So I put on my “patron of the arts” hat and decided to put my money where my mouth is.

Awesome sauce. Is it just me or does PC gaming seem to be hitting a golden-era once more(like it did back in the 90’s?). And mostly it is these indie-type efforts that are getting my spirits up. I love being a PC gamer, and it’s just getting better all the time.

Well, it depends of the goal. He chose a pretty low goal, only 10k. It’s not like he was aiming for $500K, then 200% would be much more strange and surprising.
Notice how he have less than 1000 backers.

Whoa. Is this Sundog?

Nope. But…FTL Games made Sundog.

Yeah, others have pointed out that it looks like an homage. :)