Fuck 2016: RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

And thats what I am referring to regarding to this being too PC. Heres the definition of the world creature:

crea·ture
ˈkrēCHər
noun

1. an animal, as distinct from a human being.
    “night sounds of birds and other creatures”
    synonyms: animal, beast, brute; More
  2. an animal or person.
    “as fellow creatures on this planet, animals deserve respect”
  3. a fictional or imaginary being, typically a frightening one.
    “a creature from outer space”

Now which definition did you think Mr. Martin was using when he made his comment? I would venture to guess option 2, which is all inclusive and implies that her beauty transcended not only her sex but her species. All God’s creature, great and small. Using the word creature, as defined, removes sexuality from the comment, it doesnt make it more sexist. He then went on to say that in spite of her beauty, she was far more than that. None of that flys in the face of what Carrie believed. So, yes I feel that the over reaction on Steve Martin’s words is an excellent example of PC overused. Its PC based on not understanding the english language, unless you’re assuming he meant that Carrie was an animal or an imaginary beast.

Tweeting thoughts is serious business. I haven’t seen such umbrage about something since Navin Johnson lost his shit over the cat juggler.

“Shit … shinola.”
“Son, you’re gonna be all right.”

I’ve found the source of the outbreak.

Aw man, it’ll be tough to watch this.

Sounds like there are some really big script issues with episodes VIII and IX due to Carrie’s death.

This is very minor considering her life and her family, but this still saddens me more.

I think for many men of a certain age there is always that woman who represented their “ideal” at the time. For many it was Carrie Fisher in the bikini. For others it might have been Raquel Welsh in her bikini in the ****BC flick. I think that is what Steve Martin is acknowledging, and that his appreciation for her grew beyond that.

I am not sure if it is the “thing” word that bothers you, I would guess it is. I don’t see anything wrong in acknowledging a woman as “beautiful” as long as you don’t stop there or make some other weird judgement off it.

He made a poor word choice. I wasn’t actually offended by it because I assume that choice was based on his age. It’s one of those sayings that started dying probably around when color TV stopped being a privilege. In this scenario, it would have been best if everyone just stepped back and tried to understand the other side instead of demonize it.

Color TV was a privilege? Does that mean since I just got a flat screen TV this year that I wasn’t using my flat screen privilege. Damn, I should have had you talk to my wife. :)

I believe Martin and Fisher were very good friends. I didn’t know either one of them personally. If he wanted to tweet something about her from the heart I don’t think I have any business telling him how to do it.

I believe 4k, OLED and wallpaper TVs (I think that’s the nickname anyway) is the new privilege ;-)

Dan Akroyd’s tribute to Carrie Fisher

Carrie would say things like: “I love tiny babies. When they cry they turn red and look like screaming tomatoes.” OR “This romance is finished the second you let out even a threep. I’ll be sick for a year.” AND “You have a jawline, hold your chin up otherwise you look like a tuna.” From then on I would identify myself on the phone as Tuna Neck.

I had no idea Carrie Fisher and Dan Aykroyd were engaged at one time.

Sorry guys. I have a pretty terrible bump for the topic.

[quote]
Fisher’s toxicology review found evidence of cocaine, methadone, MDMA (better known as ecstasy), alcohol and opiates when she was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Hospital on Dec. 23, a toxicology report showed.

The test results “suggests there was an exposure to heroin, but that the dose and time of exposure cannot be pinpointed.” Therefore we cannot establish the significance of heroin regarding the cause of death in this case.”

The tests revealed that the cocaine would have been consumed within the previous 72 hours, according to the autopsy.[/quote]

What sucks is that she can not pass without her issues being dragged all over the entire world. This is really nobody’s business and I wish the world would let her rest in peace. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen.

I’d like to share with you all a little insight I’ve had beaten into me by life - it’s not really all that profound really, but that’s not to say that it has no value - there really is no point that you can declare victory. Maybe you’re familiar with the Alcoholics Anonymous concept of going one day at a time, but what they try to instill is that while you may win today, there’s never any guarantee about tomorrow. And while it may seem defeatist, it’s telling you to never let down your guard. And also to remind you that there’s really no such thing as a former addict.

As I understand it, she was very open about all of her drug use and mental illness issues. This doesn’t seem like some kind of sleazy exposé, just a sad final piece of the story.

I didn’t say it was a sleazy expose. Like you said. her issues were well known, to bring it up post death seems unnecessary, especially is such detail. Of course you’re welcome to your opinion but my opinion is that I would rather they just let her rest in peace.

Never knew her of, course, but my take on her is she was honest about this stuff and if it caused her death she wouldn’t mind others knowing. It may help someone struggling with similar problems.

I think people are conflating Carrie Fisher’s autobiographical work and frankness of her substance and depression issues, with the substance abuse just before her death. They are not the same. Carrie Fisher was NOT open and honest about her situation before she died. She did a lot of interviews for Episode VII and the release of her book The Princess Diarist and she spoke of her drug and alcohol use in the past tense.

Most people were under the impression that she’d “beaten” her drugs and alcohol abuse demons and was sober in her later years. It turns out that wasn’t true. As @divedivedive and @Mark_Asher point out, this is a teachable moment for anyone else going through the same struggle.