Fuck Copy Protection

So I am sitting here with my two newly purchased coasters called TOEE Play and TOEE Install wondering why I feel ripped off when they only cost me 26 dollars each when it dawns on me that I got this neato keen map on which I can pretend I am playing the game because it won’t fucking start due to the Secure-Rom cd protection on it.

I have ripped both discs to images and reinstalled using Daemon Tools with secure rom enabled and yet it still won’t run. The big argument all the fucking morons use is that copy protection stops casual piracy. Well it also stops casual game playing. Apparently that D-Tools trick works for some but does anyone think that a casual game player would have any fucking idea how to even start using D-Tools?

I will end up having to get the cracked exe out of the warez rip to play the game I payed for! Who thinks this is a good idea?!?!?!?!

Anyone who thinks copy protection is a good idea needs to be beaten.

– Xaroc

What are your PC specs? How old is your computer/CD-ROM drive?

SecureROM errors, though they do happen, seem to be rare these days.

That ain’t good. Have you been having many of these kinds of problems before? Think there’s a chance you just have a bad disc?

There’s a good number of people having the same Securom problems at the Greyhawk forums : http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=796ad30abe2dae2c971aa130207269f4&forumid=286

My computer is an entire year old. I have a Liteon DVD drive, you know the industry standard drive every enthusiast ever uses.

And the problem is not rare at all:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=224a6b07297d2a429f64b1d7100ccb12&threadid=318136

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=224a6b07297d2a429f64b1d7100ccb12&threadid=318116

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=224a6b07297d2a429f64b1d7100ccb12&threadid=318027

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=224a6b07297d2a429f64b1d7100ccb12&threadid=318152

– Xaroc

I don’t think it is a bad disc since it installed fine and a number of other people are complaining about the secure rom issue.

– Xaroc

I’m feeling better about my kazaa download. :)

I agree with you regarding boneheaded copy protection, but I’m curious – if you install the game normally from CD, and try to run it with the CD in the drive, does it work?

All these “copy protection” schemes suck. They only hurt legitimate customers. Of course if you look on the web you will find a pirated version with cracked copy protection. Gee, a lot of good that Secure-Rom did.

The absolute best thing you can do is take the game back to the store. When you return a game, it’s a significant setback to the publisher. A copy bought and returned is a lot worse for them than a copy never bought at all.

In fact, here’s what you do: call their tech support line. Talk to the highly professional tech support representative. If they can solve your problem, great, you’re good to go. But of course they won’t be able to. So after you talk to tech support, then take the game back to the store. At this point the publisher has lost an assload of money on you. (A tech support call, by itself, eats any profit the publisher would have gotten by selling you the game. Then you sock them in the gut with the return).

After this happens with enough games, publishers will get the message.

Frankly, I think games already have enough problems working out of the box. Adding in “features” whose only effect is to make the game not run in some circumstances, strikes me as downright dumb from an engineering point of view.

I agree with you regarding boneheaded copy protection, but I’m curious – if you install the game normally from CD, and try to run it with the CD in the drive, does it work?[/quote]

No that was the first thing I tried.

– Xaroc

Sigh. So lets see, Kazaa has a http://desktop.kazaa.com/us/games/temple_of_evil.htm 6 hour time limit “demo” of the full version that you can download, the full version is already out on the net with a cracked exe included, the short “traditional” demo is rumored due out friday and a bunch of legit purchasers of the game can’t play it.

Seems SOP to me… :roll:

PC game companies should probably just go to something like online registration (with an option to register by phone via an 800 number) to combat piracy.

I agree with this but then so many people would complain and think it’s such a hassle to have to do this.
I don’t think it would be a big deal though.

Did you at least buy the real game?

Seems to be a recurring pattern:

1. Gamer complains about SecuROM/SafeDisc on a message board.
  2. Industry person says, “It might be a bad disc, SecuROM has improved a lot compatibility-wise.”
  3. Others say, “What sort of drive do you have?” The answer is inevitably a very common drive.
  4. Marginal solutions are offered for both sides of the transaction.
  5. Everyone involved learns just how easy it is to download a hassle-free cracked version of the game from a P2P network.

I can’t believe publishers don’t understand what they’re doing to themselves. No matter how big a problem piracy is, the failure rate of copy-protected media is nothing short of viral marketing for piracy. The “rarity” of the problem conflates with its severity, and further conflates with the increased ability for gamers to communicate, creating a huge problem for publishers. They’ve replaced the problem of casual copying with an even bigger problem; people don’t even need CD burners to pirate games now, in fact it’s just about as easy and definitely cheaper to not use them. A disproportional number of people are learning this for every one person who has that “rare” problem with SecuROM.

Ultimately, the platform is far too accessible to prevent piracy of a singleplayer game. Publishers are just going to have to accept that. If a publisher wants to prevent piracy of a PC game, then they should make a multiplayer-focused game. It’s as simple as that.

I agree with this but then so many people would complain and think it’s such a hassle to have to do this.
I don’t think it would be a big deal though.[/quote]

That’d be a pretty big deal to the deaf or people who can’t speak English well.

Web-based registration of a game written in English will certainly have far reaching consequences for the deaf guy buying a multimedia game. There’s about 6 locations in the previous sentence containing sarcasm. Finding them is left as an exercise for the reader.

Do you mean that deaf people don’t buy (multimedia) games or just that they wouldn’t have any problems with web-based registration? And do you think that you have to know English well enough to handle the registration in order to play games written in English (like Doom I guess)? I don’t think it is a major problem though.

Copy protection: it’s the pits and doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

I had sincerely hoped these days were as dead as the Commodore 64 1541 drive copy protection nightmares, but apparently they are alive and kicking. Major suckage.

Adam’s response, and no offense meant to Adam who’s a nice guy and honest and all that, isn’t very helpful. It’s the traditional industry response to any of their bone-headed ideas. “Your problem is rare, everyone else is happy, must be something odd on your end.” The only end that’s odd is the ass-end of the industry where the industry’s collective head is (are?) on this issue.

All the arguments for these sorts of physical copy protection are bunk. They are trumped and trumped decisively by reality, which shows that copy protection encourages piracy and frustration which in turn leads people who would not ordinarily be pirates to become pirates.

I’ve been lucky so far. My DVD drive which I use for instals is some bog-standard thing (JLMS it says); my Liteon burner I never use for instals (but it is also very standard). But in an industry where there are few standards really for the hardware in any given machine the use of physical copy protection doesn’t make sense IMO.

Either Atari will have to come up with a solution that will satisfy their customers who are screwed by the copy protection (a solution that will inevitably undo whatever “good” the copy protection scheme was supposed to accomplish) or they will lose those customers–neither outcome is good, and both could have been avoided by using a friendlier system.

Publishers simply have to bite the bullet and face the fact that anything they produce is going to be warezed. The best they can do is make it so it’s less frustrating, complex, and more rewarding to buy than to steal. Right now they all too often do it the other way around.