Bleep Qualcomm right in their Qualcomm-hole

Holy fuckballs, there are 185 more of you?!

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this, but Qualcomm really sucks.

I feel like it’s come up.

You should link them to this thread, if you haven’t already. It’s the current best of breed discussion of how much Qualcomm should get fucked, and if they want to surpass it, they’ll need to know what they’re up against.

Hey look at that @sharaleo

browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/

iPhone X, 86.3
OnePlus 5, Chrome 63, 33.1

iPhone X in low power mode, 55

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Even in low power mode, the iPhone 8/X is almost 1.7 times faster than a Snapdragon 835 device. So this means the iPhone 7 would be faster as well in low power mode and the iPhone 6s would be neck and neck in low power mode (estimating, I’d need to check).

Not quite the threshold needed for fucks to be given. For now my fucks shall remain stowed in my cool and dry fuck pantry.

Almost! iPhone 6s is 42 regular and 22 on low power battery saver mode. So for iPhone 7 and later, even running with one arm conceptually tied behind their backs in battery saver mode they are fucking destroying Qualcomm in perf.

This shit is just sad.

All this still has zero noticeable effect on real world scenarios, that is all.

Sure, if you only use your phone to check email, then performance is basically irrelevant beyond what a Snapdragon 835 can deliver. But if you use your phone to browse the modern web, which is lousy with tons of JavaScript and getting lousier with it by the second, then it is intensely relevant.

This is incorrect, I posted numerous YouTube videos comparing the speed of iPhone X v any new Android and there was no real difference in both opening apps and loading webpages.

Here is the first YouTube hit comparing the X to my current phone:

Hmm, let’s check earlier in the topic:

Speaking of initial app load times, here’s a video still from an iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy 8:

Definitely fair to note that round 2 the X is gonna lose, 6gb of RAM vs 3gb is a fair thing to complain to Apple about. But hey, look at that: 167 seconds vs 286 seconds, almost twice as fast! Like I’ve been saying…

As I already mentioned on the web page load youtube tests:

And

Last time I did side by side with iPhone 8 and OnePlus 5 in Discourse, it was reasonably close – but remember that we set the slowdevice flag on Android and only send down half the topics / replies. So essentially, if you halve the work, Android can get close. There’s that 2x again! That number keeps coming up, man!

On a page like /categories which is exactly the same on both devices regardless of the slowdevice flag, it was substantially slower on the OnePlus 5 to render.

It is fair to note that iPhone 6s speed is “acceptable” and that’s kinda-sorta roughly what the Snapdragon 835 delivers, maybe within 20% of. Depends what you are looking at, but I can agree that “close to iPhone 6s” is an accurate overall characterization, and that’s not a slow device per se. It’s just thoroughly mediocre by 2018 standards

Throwing a bunch of charts in ideal conditions is not a counterargument. I’m still stating that the majority (probably 95% + of all users) will find no noticeable difference using their phones day to day. So whether iPhone X or snapdragon no discernable difference. Phones are plenty quick for the average user today.

My Android phone is only appreciably slowed, in terms of end-user experience that isn’t limited by network latency, by websites which load JavaScript from four ad networks and half a dozen analytics frameworks. The modern web may be lousy with JavaScript, but 98% of it is useless crap that needs to die anyway.

@Wumpus will be happy

Can’t read it, behind a paywall, but:

Subscribe to the FT to read: Qualcomm set to be censured by European antitrust watchdog

It’s specifically about the arrangement they had with Apple re: LTE chips.

Anyway, it’s official now, so here’s the EC itself.

Shit, real men us Reddit for only one thing -

https://www.reddit.com/r/trebuchetmemes

Because fuck catapults!

I’m keeping my catapult and skipping trebuchets until cannons come out.

Snapdragon 845 numbers have leaked. And here’s a second confirmation.

So, roughly:

Snapdragon 821, ~1600-1700
Snapdragon 835, ~1800-1900
Snapdragon 845, ~2300-2400

At least this time it’s a reasonable bump in perf, so I give this an obama-not-bad.gif – for context Qualcomm has finally and legitimately reached iPhone 6s levels of performance.

Welcome to 2015, gentlemen.

Cannons are the worst!