Bleep Qualcomm right in their Qualcomm-hole

Apple Watch is estimated to have sold 15million units between 09/16 and 09/17. Fitbit sold 22million in 2016.

Apple sold 78million iPhones in the last quarter alone.

I’m not sure where you are that you see either ‘everywhere’, but I’ve seen exactly one Apple Watch in the wild and maybe 20 (what I assume are) fitbits.

Yeah, $100 fitness trackers are pretty common, that is certainly a successful product that deserves to exist. Smartwatches are largely used as fitness trackers, but they cost 3-5x as much and only have ~1 day of battery life.

Err… that’s not true.

Apple has the majority of marketshare, but nowhere close to what that guy was suggesting… which I suppose is probably why he didn’t provide any source for his information.

I had a smartwatch, but ended up going back to a Seiko standard. The biggest issue with smartwatches for me is the battery life. Charging a watch every day is a pain in the ass.

The Pebble Time 2 was supposed to help fix this… but, well, we know how that ended.

Personally, I see apple watches everywhere, but that’s mostly within tech companies and on the NY subway, where I also see iPhone X’s everywhere.

Anecdotally, I have a smart watch, but it doesn’t do fitness tracking stuff, and the battery lasts ~3 days. It’s a 1st gen android thing.

I find it pretty useful, but I have a couple of specific things I use it for that 99.9% of others probably wouldn’t. I don’t really recommend people get one, but I find it pretty great.

I have the Apple Watch. Aside from fitness, I use it inside the car to talk to Siri and change my playlist, for instance. The watch communicates with the phone in my pocket, which talks to the car stereo via BT. Somehow it magically all works. Also great for navigation. The watch taps my wrist to let me know there’s an upcoming turn or exit. And paying for stuff with my watch is awesome (just wish more grocery stores would get on board with NFC payments).

If you can find enough uses for it, a smart watch can be a worthwhile gadget to own.

Here you go @wumpus some new data on the snapdragon 945:

Analyzing this further, single core is equivalent to an A9 CPU (Iphone 6S) and in multi-core it is about 10% slower than a A10X (Ipad-pro Gen 2)

Broadcom definitely not giving up:

VentureBeat now reports Broadcom has secured “up to” $100 billion in debt to pursue a hostile takeover of the rival chip company. Broadcom aims to bypass Qualcomm’s Board of Directors entirely and appeal directly to the company’s shareholders through a vote early in March.

To fund this takeover, Broadcom has sourced credit from 12 different financial bodies, including Wells Fargo, Citigroup, J.P. Morgan and others.

Hopefully the feds block this as it is obviously anti-competitive.

Yeah, confirmed… the 845 is a solid jump, compared to the anemic bump the 835 and 821 offered.

We should have been here in 2016, but I’ll take it.

The Apple watch kicks the living shit out of Android wear, and even more upsetting for the anti-Apple brigade, is that it’s become an awesome and useful device that’s a great value. It’s actually a great reason to consider going to the iPhone.

Just recently a friend of mine was showing me how he uses the ‘drafts’ app. He says it’s become basically the most important app across all of his devices, he’d rather lose access to MS Office for a day than Drafts.

What’s cool about it is that we all shat on it because it didn’t have a ‘killer app’ and seemed pointless. But now in 2018, a lot of people that have one are finding that it does have a killer app… it’s just a unique one for them.

Just my .02, I’m all Android all the way.

I personally have no use for a watch, I’m just not gonna wear a watch, ever. But there is a clear set of logic for the “next smaller device” in the march from minicomputer (room size), to microcomputer (desktop size), to laptop (bag size), to smartphone (pocket size)… abandoning that pursuit entirely seems unwise.

Except that smartphones have been getting bigger, not smaller. People want their screens.

Yes, that is true. Not sure how to reconcile that trend, as laptops and phones allow for a screen size that watches do not. Time for…

Ouch

Surely this cannot be news to anyone here? SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK IMMA START ANOTHER TOPIC

You really wanna enter the THUNDERDOME, friend?

Isn’t this the only benchmark that matters?

Apple’s last gen phone is 7% faster at integer operations and 3% slower at floating point than the S9 doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. Also pre-release phone.

Also, that is not a Qualcomm SoC so in this situation they are blameless (one could imagine).