Bleep Qualcomm right in their Qualcomm-hole

That’s actually excellent, if Samsung is delivering better chips these days my hat is off to them. These results are weird, though:

Guess we need more data points.

Chrome on Android consistently is able to use up to eight threads when rendering a webpage.

8 slow cores isn’t any materially faster at rendering web pages, though.

Imagine a barber shop with one really fast barber cutting a person’s hair, working against 8 barbers cutting the same person’s hair collaboratively. It can be faster, but it is not guaranteed to be 8 times faster or even twice as fast; they get in each others’ way and have to spend a lot of time coordinating work and communicating.

Yeah, but who wins in a fight: one fast barber or eight barbers pissed off because all that one customer talks about is JavaScript performance?

And who cuts the iPhone’s hair?

Wumpus does. Lovingly and one follicle at a time.

Sent from my iPhone

100 horses the size of ducks vs. 1 giant duck the size of a horse

Summary of the beatdown

The Galaxy S9 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, the latest mobile processing platform from Qualcomm. As of this writing, the S9 is the only phone to feature the 845

namely

although

Still, the S9+ is a vast improvement over last year’s Galaxy S8, which boasts a Snapdragon 835 processor. The year-old Galaxy model took over 4 minutes to complete the video editing test.

objectively 4:07 versus 2:32 is a solid leap over the 835, so this year’s crapdragon upgrade is actually… an upgrade, for once. But notice the Pixel 2 XL is not that far behind and it’s a 835 too, so… meh.

Opening the Injustice 2 game took the iPhone X a little more than 13 seconds, while the same task took the Galaxy S9+ 20 seconds, roughly the same as the 19 seconds it took the Pixel 2 XL to fire up the app

How do you explain this, beyond the meh?

Welp…

Trump + Qualcomm, sounds about right to me.

This might actually not be a bad move by Trump.
And that is not something I say often.

None of that matters, really, as so many of the components in electronic devices come from places like China anyhow that it’s pretty much impossible to “secure” supplies. For sensitive applications you have to invest in the expertise to in effect reverse-engineer the hardware to make sure it’s kosher I suppose, but beyond that, I have no idea what else you can really do. Even the question of supply is kind of silly, given the way global trade works.
But I suppose one could create a scenario that works.

The irony is that all the components are still shipped to China, where final assembly occurs.

I dunno. There were number of banks set to make many millions of dollars off this deal. Wonder which one denied Jared a loan?

Pretty sure they all did.

You like apples?! How ‘bout them apples.

#FuckRedDelicious

Instead of a weird opinion piece, here’s an article with actual numbers:
https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1332657

How do you feel about BlackBerry, Ericsson, Huawei, Intel, InterDigital, and Nokia’s licensing fees for mobile IP?

It’s not like Qualcomm is the only company with FRAND licensing fees
https://www.ericsson.com/assets/local/tech-innovation/patents/doc/frand-licensing-terms-for-5g-nr-in-3gpp-release-15.pdf

Qualcomm have similar numbers of essential LTE patents as e.g. Nokia and Ericsson. The numbers will vary based on whether you go by their own declarations or by third-party evaluations of what’s actually essential. But something like 14% Qualcomm, 10% each for Nokia and Ericsson is going to be very close either way.

If the practical license terms really were FRAND, you’d expect licensing revenues to be in the same ballpark. But somehow Qualcomm gets $6.4G/year while Nokia is at $1.5G and Ericsson at $1G. (And note that the $6.4G is excluding Apple completely due to the dispute; they’re projecting an Apple deal that’s worth $2.5G-$4G/year).

The idea that these are just industry standard FRAND terms is laughable. They are clearly using some kind of external leverage to get those terms. If everyone all the other IP holders were getting paid as well, the prices of high end phones would skyrocket.