Fuck Steve Jackson Games and/or EA

I know all about fair use, Charles. (Even more, I approve. On the issue of copyright, I’m basically on the side of Negativeland.) I was just yanking Adree’s chain a bit.

Fair use as Charles noted, and oh hey whats this:

5. Contributing Third Party Content to EA Services

EA respects the intellectual property rights of others. You must have the legal right to upload Content to EA Services. You may not upload or post any Content on EA Services that is protected by copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights unless (i) you are the owner of all of those rights; or (ii) you have the prior written consent of the owner(s) of those rights to make such use of that Content. EA may, without prior notice to you and in its sole judgment, remove Content that may infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party. If you are a repeat infringer of EA’s or a third party’s intellectual property rights, EA may terminate your Account without notice to you. If your Account(s) are terminated, you are not entitled to a refund for any fees you have paid, and you will lose access to entitlements and assets associated with your Account (such as game points, digital assets and tokens).[/FONT]

You infringe copyright. Infringing work is removed. Cue waambulance?

…you left out “profit”.

An “acknowledged” asshole? Steve Jackson is a nice person. I first met him before GURPS came out, and have spoken with him several times in recent years. I have found him to be polite and friendly in person and in email.

This includes business dealings. Full disclosure: I still receive royalty statements from a book I co-wrote for SJG.

Why don’t you try emailing him? [email protected]
It’s right there on The Daily Illuminator

In the course of 15 years, he has always been responsive to my emails.

I’ve dealt with my Jackson as well. He was always very cordial and responsive…so yes I was wondering where that impression came from as well.

I do think he holds on too tighly to some of his properties. Who can forget the GURPs fiasco…but it did give us Fallout. :)

I’m also frustrated we’ve never seen a proper Car Wars title. :( Maybe Badlands will go partway…and Hard Truck Apocalypse was close…but man I really want Car Wars and all that entials!

davidf, you really need to check this out if you haven’t already:

Car Wars seems to have completely stalled after the relaunch that was supposed to be the starting point for a simplified, friendlier ruleset. Somebody should whisper into Steve’s ear “Yeah, Car Wars was getting pretty complex, but you know what’s great at handling complexity? Computers!”

I still have an issue of ADQ that briefly mentions something about Origin’s plans for Autoduel 2…

I played it a year ago…its apparenntly evolved quite a bit since i played it…i was put off by my experience in the earlier beta…but i agree it did have some amazing potential. The fact that it now has random road encounteres and character development are 2 key new features I find very VERY intriguing!

The web page interface really put me off for the non driving aspects.