Fucking FaceBook Marketplace is swamped with Nigerian scammers

Is this what it’s come to? I haven’t sold anything on FaceBook marketplace so I thought I’d try…

I post my Android phones and Macbook for sale indicating I only want to deal locally and these idiots with obviously-fake/hijacked profiles from the states post horrifically-written/copy-pasted missives about wanting a phone for their ‘missionary brother’ or ‘grandmother’ in South Africa.

Imagine what they could accomplish with better English chops.

Should I even bother with Craigslist or Kijiji at this point? How has everyone else fared on those sites instead?

Yes, this has pissed me off so much I’m using upper case.

wtf is Facebook Marketplace?

It’s Facebook classifieds.

I’ve never heard of it, either. Facebook did a good job keeping it a secret.

It’s one of the headings on the lefthand side that I usually hide with my Greasemonkey scripts in my browser.

Good Christ man, considering the usual level of discourse why would you expose your wallet to FB? Craigslist, FFS.

H.

Except from scammers.

A buddy of mine almost got scammed in the same way when he tried to sell his Xbox360 + a few games. But I don’t get it. How does it work? Do they make you send the stuff to some foreign country where they know the law won’t act? Surely no one is dumb enough to send the item before receiving the money.

Do you ever get those emails that say: Wanted, no job experience necessary, 5-10 hours a week, work from home!

Basically, if you take this “job,” you’re a drop location for these sorts of scams. You become the ship-to address for the purchases, which are made using fraudulent cashier’s checks, etc, and then when you receive them, you send them on to the overseas location. If you’re paid, you’re paid in those same fraudulent checks.

I’ve sold dozens of items on Craigslist, from monitors to laptops to a PSP and I’ve yet to have anyone try and scam me.

Yeah, Craigslist seems like it would be a seething pit of villainy, but somehow isn’t. We’ve moved a bunch of stuff through there, no hassles, really fast turn around.

I get at least a couple of scammy-sounding responses when I sell stuff on CL, but they’re easy to spot.

Were these face to face transactions? Did you meet somewhere in public to sell your stuff or were you comfortable letting them come to your home?

I’ve had it happen. They try to buy your merchandise with a fake cashier’s check, often for more than the item, and then they want you to ship the item and the extra cash. The bank sometimes will cash these checks but then the bank can come back once they discover they’re forged and legally demand their money back.

Absolutely face to face, in a public place. Just because no-one’s tried to rip me off or hit me over the head and take my stuff yet is no reason to think it’ll never happen.

Yeah, I’ve heard of those scams. I always specify “CASH ONLY” in my ads. If someone showed up with a check, no sale.

I never even knew Facebook had a marketplace.

I’ve had people try to scam me on Craigslist.

Also, every once in a while people responding to Craigslist ads murder the person who placed the ad.

I’ve sold a few items on craigslist, always face to face, and I usually line it up when I’m going with friends somewhere else. I sold my old cell phone and had the guy meet me at a movie theater, and then went to see Hanna afterward. No extra driving, and I had two friends with me.

Mostly women, fortunately (for me, I mean…not for them).

Anyway, I usually meet them in a Fry’s parking lot. There’s a million and half people there at all hours, so I can’t imagine anyone trying to jump or murder me. And I only give out my cell phone number and no names are exchanged. I feel pretty safe.

I suppose there must be scammers out there on CL and similar sites, but if you use some really basic common sense (cash only, don’t hand over the item until you have the cash in hand, meet in a public place) you’re pretty safe on CL.