Fuel: Racing in 5560 square miles of terrain

For $3.75 (weekend Steam sale), I’m very happy with this game. The racing leaves a lot to be desired, but just cruising over the giant world looking for oil cans and liveries and vistas is pretty sweet. Some of the challenges are also a lot more interesting than the races. I’m not sure that I’ll ever do a whole bunch of career races, but I will spend quite a bit of time cruising around looking for stuff.

Now if only there were even 1 or 2 people playing multiplayer…

Currently downloading it through Steam, myself. I don’t plan on doing much actual racing.

how to unlock the map (PC)

Damn it. Just when I’d completely written the game off and concluded it was never worth getting. I should stop reading posts like this one. Must. Resist. Sale.

Yeah, for 3.50 I bit too. After JC2’s anemic motorcycles (and don’t get me wrong, I love the game but the driving is really there as a platform for throwing cars off of cliffs and running them into gas stations), the bikes in FUEL actually feel halfway competent, heh. And the difference on how the two demo vehicles grip dirt vs. gravel vs. road is actually surprisingly palpable.

With that in mind, please be aware that Valve ran out of keys, so you can’t actually play the game that you buy for now. They claim to be getting more next week.

@ Rock8Man: dude. 3.50.

Alright. I succumbed. It’s bought and installed. Now I just need Steam to actually get more keys. What do they normally do in this kind of situation? Do they make an announcement somewhere when the keys become available? Or is the only way to check just to constantly try to run the game and fail?

Bought. Nice sale.

I’m gonna guess that when the warning box goes away on this page, it’s playable.

You don’t want to play Fuel, think of it as Steam doing you a favor.

Sure you do! Game’s a blast with the debug tools. I wouldn’t recommend the main content at all, but as far as creating a massive diverse world to drive around in the game throws it out in spades. Any higher than the current price on steam and it’d be questionable, but the sale price is fine.

The editing tools make the driving model not a giant sack of shit?

Keys are available again, for those who haven’t checked.

The controls aren’t too good (a clear case of consolitis) and I’m getting a graphical issue where the ground textures just disappear and everything gets smeared together, making the game mostly unplayable. Codemasters support suggests toggling Win98 compatability mode for those experiencing the issue. Except it’s only supposed to happen to single core users, and I’m running a dual core already.

Well, at least it was only $3.50.

This game doesn’t seem all that bad. $3.50 well spent, I think. Plus it works with GFWL on my machine, so if a friend comes online and wants me to switch to the Halo Reach Beta, I can do so.

Also, this makes the 5th or 6th GFWL game I’ve tried that works just fine. So Batman: Arkham Asylum really is the only anomaly. It’s the only GFWL that refuses to connect because my router doesn’t have certain features or something.

Yeah. It’s no Forza, but it’s very more-ish. Tons of extras, the unlocks keep coming, the FUEL is pretty generous (if you free ride at all), and the environments are nifty. I just did a race in a desert with giant trucks, and then dune buggies in an ash storm, visibility 30ft. Definitely worth 3.50. Maybe even twice that!

Well… does GFWL tell anyone else that their key isn’t valid?

Guinness’ World Record business has been completely whoring themselves out for anything the last couple of years. I guess no one wants to buy their books anymore when they can look stupid things up on the net.

Ah, GWFL strikes again!

Ok, after spending some more time in this game, and doing some exploring and a lot of races, I am really bored already with the terrain in this game. It’s just miles and miles and miles and miles of … boring, almost featureless terrain. When I see some trees, I get excited, and then I see the same trees for a long time and get less excited. Then I see a barn and some buildings, and that’s exciting for a second, but then they pass. Hmmm. It’s just not fair to this game that I’ve also done a lot of driving recently in Just Cause 2, which is a huge world that’s built to always be beautiful. Fuel is not built with that in mind. At all.

Good lord… This game is terrible… Two races in and I’m already hitting the uninstall button. If only the driving model wasn’t complete shit.

The first steam game I actively regret buying… since… ever.

I just got past the “I want to like this” phase. Holy god is this game bad. At least I got DIRT and have Trackmania United to yank me out of this 5560 square mile black hole.