Funcoms next MMO - LEGO!

According to RPS, Funcom has announced their next MMO will be in the LEGO Minifigures universe.

The massively multiplayer online game that Funcom will develop based on the LEGO® Minifigures franchise will focus on maximum accessibility. Funcom and the LEGO Group will work together to make the game available to consumers in their online channels and will be coordinating activities to provide a broad and enhanced experience for the product line. The game will be a prominent part of the LEGO® Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors per month.

I did not see that coming. That must be a bit annoying to any former Netdevil employees, but I guess thats life.

Now, I’d actually wish the same happened to Starwars and we got another MMO instead of the one we have now.

Wow, who would look at Age of Conan and The Secret World and then decide to give FunCom the rights to Lego?

maximum accessibility

Ah, so the opposite of their current strategy.

Maybe this MMO will focus on the stuff people actually like about LEGO.

The ability to actually build things?

Make it exactly like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and I’m in for two lifetime subscriptions.

Yes. The thing the last Lego MMO totally failed to deliver. I doubt this would happen, but if it really was a MMO about building things, opposed to mindless killing monsters, Id be all over it.

I doubt it as well. All the games (from what I’ve read, haven’t played them) are about breaking stuff, not building anything. If the MMO is the same…meh.

Not as advanced as some want I’m sure, but you guys realize you can already build with Lego for free if you use a Chrome browser, right?

No, I didn’t, and that is awesome.

I don’t think building will be the focus, considering that they’re explicitly casting this as a “LEGO Minifigure” license specifically.

They have to be looking at the success of Minecraft and thinking there’s room for building in there. It’s the ultimate crafting mechanic.

That would be great.

What rock have you been living under? This came out over a day ago!

hah, sorry for my poor wording. I just figured everyone knew about something like that :-)

Hang on, there was property ownership and full building with almost every Lego element in Lego Universe. It ALSO had mindlessly killing monsters. Given that a lot more people play Lego Star Wars than use the Lego Digital Designer (and the fact that their core audience was boys 8-12), can you forgive them for putting the adventuring up front?

• random collection of videos where 6 and 5 years old play minecraft *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZyRYcCrd3o

• link pointing out how a LEGO mmorpg was a failure of a idea *

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/04/lego-universe-shutting-down-january-2012/

• insert here obvious remark that if you are scared to make a game where childrens can make a penis made of lego, you will never make anything like LEGO, similar to lego, or with the freedom of LEGO. *

Mindlessly killing monsters was not a a side dish, it was the main course. Any actually lego building was more like a breath mint at the end of a meal.

It may have been buried in the game, but in terms of scope, I think the building was more than an after-dinner mint. But yeah: adventuring was the main course. I don’t think that’s so crazy given the market, and it doesn’t mean that if you were looking for a game where you could build with Lego, it was substantially in there.

Teiman, I wasn’t claiming that young kids are incapable of playing Minecraft. My 11, 8, and 6 year olds all play.

Lego has to be afraid of Lego penises because they have a reputation–possibly the best reputation of any single company IN THE WORLD. Parents trust Lego. They could never, ever endanger that. So if that was the primary failing, then a real Lego building game will never exist.

Lego Minifigures Online is now buy-to-play for $29.99. It is no longer F2P.

https://www.playminifigures.com/en/news/new-lego-minifigures-online

Q: What is new in LEGO Minifigures Online?

A: There is a ton of new stuff to enjoy! The game now has an all new story told by a narrator, cool cinematics, voiced conversations with the minifigures, a new tutorial, tons of improved content, brand new events, transformations and boss battles plus much more!

Q: How do I get the game now?

A: You just pay once to get the full game, with access to all of the story and worlds (iOS and Android users buy each world separately). There are no longer any requirements to own certain numbers of minifigures to open up more worlds. There is no more Membership and you no longer buy minifigures or Diamonds in the shop.

Q: How do I get more minifigures?

A: More and more minifigures automatically join your team as you play through the story. Every time you complete a Pocket Adventure or Dungeon you also get a minifigure, and everyone can now open big chests to get minifigure parts. You can also of course still use the keys found in physical LEGO Minifigure bags to get that same minifigure in-game.

Q: What has happened to my in-game progress?

A: Everyone has kept all their progress and the minifigures they have collected. You will also get extra minifigures added to your collection depending on how far you have come in the story. If you had bought anything in LEGO Minifigures Online before, like Membership, Diamonds or minifigures, you now own the full game (on PC and Mac). If you hadn’t bought anything you will now need to buy the game, but after that you can also login with your LEGO ID and keep all your progress in the game.

According to some reports, this game is now substantially better.