Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

Brad, don’t listen to him! don’t listeeeeen!

really

I didn’t read the book, so no idea about the quality.

Nothing in this world will get me to play a Stardock beta ever again.

But I might pick up the retail version of GalCiv III if folks are keen on it - I quite enjoyed GalCiv 2. Well, mostly - like Elemental it tends to meander and have too many systems going on, games like that need some focus to them, I believe, but I’ll keep an open mind.

Galactic Civilizations III gives players far more detail in the textures, models, and overall look of everything from the planets they colonize to the fleets they command. New interstellar terrain elements on the hex-based map like black holes and mysterious Precursor relics change the way players explore the galaxy. A completely overhauled ship builder puts nearly every element of starship design in players’ hands, while the new resource system creates fresh opportunities to explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate.

Black holes and relics were already in Gal Civ 2 :P :P

The way they work in GC3 is different ;)

I supposed as much, I was pulling your leg :P

I’m a little high strung today with the announcement going up I[/I] on its own schedule!

Awesome news!

Edit: Yay, 64-bit!

I hope they change the ship designer, it got to be very tedious having to place every component at hard points for every ship I designed and it took away from the flow of the game. I would be humming along and then I needed to design a ship and there went the fun. They can keep the model designer if they want just separate it from component designer. What I’m saying is, let me place components and have them auto placed on to an already existing model design. For example; I want to place 3 lasers 1, 4 engines, 1 sensor and so forth on an Frigate.

Dangit… I’m trying to spend less on games, and then stuff like this is announced. Wallet Threat Level: Red

I enjoyed the Fallen Enchantress beta. Count me in on this one.

(NOTE: I never purchased nor played Elemental, so I don’t have that bad taste in my mouth. My Stardock exposure has been limited to GalCiv, GalCiv2, Sins, and Fallen Enchantress. All positive experiences)

Couldn’t you do that already?

I hope this turns out well. My wish list:

1. A good AI (Yeah, snowball’s chance in hell)
  2. A rich custom race designer.
  3. Special tech trees that are either bought from the race or faction designer that give a major advantage in a narrow scope.

It doesn’t matter where you put components in GalCiv2. Ship design doesn’t break flow if you don’t care and just want to slap a bunch of stuff together and get back to the strategic game.

I am kind of tired of 4x games where I have to design my own units, to be honest. I had forgotten about that until Demorve reminded me - I hope the ship building stuff is simple and elegant, and doesn’t take long to utilize.

I never liked Galciv very much. Give me a proper Master of Orion 4 and I’m interested.

Nice trailer… except for one thing:

And novel?

Just read Tom Francis’s GalCiv 2 diary instead. Far better than any novel would be.

Pretty sure that’s exactly how Galciv2 worked if you wanted to. Choose the base hull and stick stuff on it. You could just have a unadorned ugly ball/triangle/ring/random shape of weapons.

You never had to do it. The races came with stock ship designs that popped up after the requisite techs were researched. You could’ve just stuck with those.

If you wanted something in between for some reason, you could grab a hull and slap components on willy-nilly. Positions and design didn’t matter.

GalCiv II had the first and somewhat had the third.

You could also save your own designs so that when you reached the proper tech levels, those designs became available.

So if you needed something between the first and second stock design for that race, you could create your own and they would be available in all future games.

For each race, I put together “Tier 2 Colonizers” that were colony ships with upgraded engines. I created them really early in my GalCiv2 play time. Fast forward a year to when I got a new computer and had to reinstall everything. I fired up GalCiv2, researched the upgraded engines and said “hey, where is the tier 2 colony ship?”. Totally forgotten that it was a custom design.

FE does the same thing, but I never really got into designing units for FE. GalCiv2 was just fun since I could let my creativity flow and do true ship builds. FE is more like “give this stock model some plate pants”.