Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

It has now been 397 days of team players being lonely in the dark, cold, void of space. :D

The patch highlights look pretty awesome! Asteroid mining? Ship leveling? Cool!

Highlights of the update:

Asteroid Mining
Looking for a get rich quick scheme? Well, this may not quite fit the bill, but it will fill your pockets! Choose an asteroid in your zone of control and build an Asteroid Mining Base. When completed, it will send raw production to a planet of your choice. make sure to keep an eye out for your enemies, though – these bases are fragile and easily destroyed.

New Planet List
There are a lot of planets out there just waiting to be discovered! This new planet list allows you to keep track of the planets you’ve already found so that when you go back to colonize them later, they’re much easier to find.

Ship Leveling
Win battles and survey anomalies to level up your vessels! Most ships will gain additional hit points as they gain experience and Mercenary Ships will improve based on their existing abilities, which makes them a lot more relevant in the late game.

Star Information Window
Click on a star to see all colonizable worlds within that system. Organize your empire by renaming stars with your own name scheme - or, draw inspiration from your favorite Sci-Fi series!

Multiplayer Improvements
Enjoy new stability in your games online with friends! The game has been updated to allow for increased ship movement during multiplayer matches and a host of fixes for issues that could cause desyncs.

A user made this:

I’ve said it several times before, but I’m always amazed at some of the things people can come up with in the ship designer.

That’s pretty awesome.

Rise of the Terrans DLC is here!

More info: http://forums.galciv3.com/477926/

Rise of the Terrans includes:

New Prequel Story Campaign
Learn how the Terran Alliance was founded and what challenges humanity faced as they fought to form it.

Face Down New Threats
Encounter the Stellar Guild and the deadly Xendar Menace

Play as a New Faction
Enjoy the benefits of a new trait that boosts experience gained from ship battles with the United Earth faction, led by new leader Secretary Mathews

With the increasing number of DLC (which I love btw), has Stardock given any thought to how they make this work in multiplayer? If I play a Paradox game like EU4 or CK2, my friends can join and play my game even if they don’t own the DLC, and I don’t have to disable it. Of course, when they play on their own, they only have access to the DLC they purchased.

Is there any possibility of Stardock adopting a similar stance, especially since MP is a minority of your customers (i.e. likely won’t eat into your sales margins)? I have the lifetime pass for GalCiv3 and and such I get all the DLC. I really enjoy a lot of them and want to play with them enabled but when I play with my friends, I have to disable everything. Unfortunately, I typically play this game co-op with a friend, which means I basically don’t get much mileage out of the DLC. It’s all a bit of a bummer.

Neato :)

I need to go back in and give the fully-patched game some love. If only there were ever time -.-

I know for Ashes, and I believe for GC3 as well, the host determines the available DLC in multiplayer. So if you have Amazing DLC That Lets Teammates Start Next To Each Other and your buddy doesn’t, if you host you can both still use it for that game.

Oh really??? Is that separate for “DLC” as opposed to expansions? After I bought Mercenaries my friend (only owns vanilla) tried to join my game but was unable to unless I disabled the extra content.

I’ll try again this weekend.

The campaign DLC seemed pretty good- and the constructor spam removed some of my frustration about the game in general- had more fun playing it now than I did a few months ago.

Honestly I can only speak to Ashes, sorry! I’ll bow out and let Island Dog answer this when he sees it.

Hey, I just wanted to make sure my tone came across correctly. I realized that I went a little overboard with the question marks in my over-caffeinated state. It was meant as an enthusiastic “No kidding?! Awesome!” not a “Oh really??? IS THAT RIGHT? THEN HOW COME IT DIDN’T WORK, JERKHOLE!”. I hope it didn’t come across wrong, man!

EDIT: Also, I think Island Dog has me on ignore for all the badgering over team starts. :D

Oh, you’re fine. I just don’t want to give out wrong information.

LOL. :)

The host determines the DLC available for a MP game, with the exception of Mercenaries. Mega Events DLC are also disabled in MP.

Thanks! That explains my confusion, because we tried to play shortly after Mercenaries came out, and he wasn’t able to join due to not having the DLC. I didn’t realize it was making a distinction between a bigger expansion and the smaller DLCs. I’m pretty happy with that solution, FWIW.

Is there any DLC people consider must have? I still only played one game at launch, but I know it deserves another look due to my history with the franchise.

Mercenaries. I like the precursor worlds too, off the top of my head (I got the Founders thing so sometimes I can’t keep which one is which straight, I get them all).

Revenge of the Snathi and Precursor Worlds are ones that I hear people talking about a lot as their favorites.

Those on sale in the Steam summer sale, along with the Mercenaries expansion and most of the other DLC.

The v1.81 update is available today. This update focuses on UI and AI, along with various other fixes and improvements to the game. :)

Full changelog: 1.81 Update (Released 7/26) » Forum Post by shaw

Increased AI Aggression
Ai is more likely to engage you multiple times in a single turn.

New notification UI
We’ve updated notification system to make it more useful and informative. Notifications messages now appear as scrolling list on the left-hand side of the screen. Notifications can be filtered based on priority or disabled off in the game options menu.

Better load times
Starting a new game is significantly faster.