Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

I’m looking forward to hearing more about Resources, but I really like the direction you’re going with Citizens. To me it seems like it offers more interesting choices that production wheels, etc. I also really like that they level up over time. Like you mention in the dev diary, it presents a decision on what to focus on when. I like that.

Thanks. Yea, I’m looking forward to talking about where resources come into play.

The citizens and the resources are connected pretty tightly.

Broadly, the idea is that we want players to truly feel like every new game is different in terms of what the best strategy is.

One of my favorite features of Civilization is that when I start, my strategy might change based on what natural resources are in the area.

I really want to see that concept taken to the next level.

I really, really like the sound of that!

I gotta say the changes sound very good. One request…

When assigning citizens, please make sure it is easy to compare the results of your choices - assigning to planets vs. to the capital. It can get very annoying in games when they provide cool choices but make it difficult to compare the results of those choices.

I’ll certainly try. I think we’ll have to put some thought into how this would be communicated to the player.

Is a 25% boost to a given planet better than a 3% boost to your Civ? Most of the time, the answer is, it depends when you do it and that may change over time.

It also greatly depends on map size. A 25% boost to a planet would mean a lot more on a Tiny map than on the larger ones. Incidentally, that’s one of the things I dislike about some of the um… can’t think of the word… the alignment (Benevolent/Malevolent etc) choices. Getting a “free” planet to colonize swings from hugely awesome to just a drop in the bucket solely depending on the size of the map.

That stuff looks fantastic Brad. I can’t wait to give GC3 another chance when Crusade comes out.

Hi guys. I think this is the Dev Diary many of you have been waiting for.

The new resource system, the new economic system, the end of Starbase spam and the death of the colony rush.

http://www.stardock.com/community/article/481941/CRUSADE-DIARY-4-What-is-a-4X-strategy-game

DAMMIT BRAD I HAVE WORK TO DO

fuckdiscourse

WHY DOES IT HATE CAPS SO?

Also, pages.

My mother was a page. The racist nature of this forum software is deeply offensive to me on a genetic level!

Like… for a knight?

She grew up in Guatemala. Third world country, you know how it is. Anyway, it’s a different world there. At 15, young girls are. . . are. . . paginated.

It’s hard for me to talk about, sorry.

Sign me the hell up. I’d insert shutupandtakemymoney.jpg but as a Founder I suppose I already did that. But still, sounds great!

EDIT: Finished reading the dev diary. Lots and lots of good stuff in there, Brad.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It sounds really good- holding off on playing until it comes out right now.

just hope you’re out before June 2nd.

Yes, this sounds pretty interesting. I particularly like the prospect of destabilizing endgame superpowers.

Question: It seems like resources like manufacturing and ship building are going into a global pool now. Is that true? Is labor the limiting factor on the rate you can crank stuff out at any given location? How does labor work - proportional to population?

What an amazing read. It sounds wonderful though I do see one big issue with the finale’ system. Say you have 2 superpowers fighting for supremacy and they’ve built incredible fleets to finally neuter the other one via a climactic battle between these two giants. Pretty exciting! Then one of them activates a superpower and the other fleet just disappears - zip - gone. That would feel more like hitting the delete button on accident losing a years worth of work, than a feel good crushing blow. So that will be an interesting balancing act as it could obviously create an anti-climactic resolution.

Food being a shared resource - darn. Apparently I am in minority of people who like to have food remain local or shared just within the solar system?

As always, the care and thought that goes into Stardock games is second to none.

Go back to Russia, hippy!

LOL good one :)