Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

Sorry 2 then. Except in your post you just said you couldn’t tell how much money you’re making. Is that a bug or something you’re missing? I haven’t noticed this. It’s no where near as rough as you’re making it out to be.

I very much have an issue with the transparency of Stardock’s game mechanics in general, including this one, where I think the tooltips could do a much better job of explaining everything. And I don’t think you are lying about the finances, I just think you might be missing something the game isn’t making clear. I had the same issue in Sorcerer King. It wasn’t a bug, just not displayed clearly.

Sure it’s an old game, but Crusade makes some major changes as well. My initial time with game has been pretty good so far.

I’m 80% sure that I bought and played Gal Civ 3, but it doesn’t show up in my Steam Library.

Is it possible that I bought the game directly from Stardock via your old distribution system? If so how would I go about gaining access to it so I can buy the DLC?

Aww, don’t let one guy sour your experience posting. I’m glad to hear about your experiences and you’ve been perfectly reasonable expressing it. But a lot of us – myself included! – can get defensive when we really like something. Don’t read too much into it.

I’ve also run into some issues, but I expected as much playing a pre-release build. I’d be disappointed like you if I ran into them with a release build. I haven’t tried the game since its official release, though. If you’re so inclined, and this goes for @LeeAbe as well, I would be interested in hearing more about where the numbers aren’t lining up. I love numbers. Love them. I love looking at them, and comparing them, and seeing how they modify each other. Over the years, Stardock has come a long way in terms of surfacing those numbers and making it clear how they interact. I haven’t had any issues with the numbers not lining up, so if I’m not looking in the right place, I’d like to know.

-Tom

I’m another one who bought the game early on, found it dry and set it aside. Crusade looks better, and I am thinking of diving back in… but I’m kind of at a loss as to which of the intervening DLCs are important enough to pick up.

Now I’m confused. The upgrade button on my starbases is grayed out and a tool tip says I need a constructor.

If you bought it through Stardock, you should have a Steam Key listed in your Stardock account.

As for the DLCs- I think the Snathi/Rise of the Terrans can be skipped, the others are worth getting.

• Starbase modules:

Step 1: Select a starbase and notice that the button is grayed out with tooltip text:

Step 2a: Select a module you can build, notice the price, and that the starbase module button is now ‘active’.

Step 2b: Select a module you can not build, notice the price, and that you do not have the resources to build it: I guess the tooltip could have colour coded in red the resources you were lacking so you did not have to scan the top bar for it

Step 3a: Build the module you had resources for by double clicking it on the right side, and notice it appearing on the left side

• Tooltip bug? Total value seems weird compared to the Terrans+Onyx values does it not - although 2.8+2.8 = 5.6?

• Tooltip bug2: Net income value 15.5 - yet Weekly income - Expenses shows “0”, as does the balance sheet.

Neither of these issues is destroying the game though. Just have to check Govern screen to see my balance and not rely on the top left corner tooltip.

It would seem the Net Income tooltip shows the summary of all your planets taxes vs. expenses, but has difficulties explaining it… (from Govern - Colonies screen)

Whereas the Govern - Economy screen shows the full expenses and income and sum it up correctly.

Not sure what purpose the net income tooltip serves though, as it gives you the wrong indication on whether you are making or losing credits.

Edit: Playing on the “opt_in” version.

Bug:

• It would seem that Auto Governors do not activate any building queues if the planet has nothing on it?

Fix:

• You have to select ‘govern’ twice to get it to start building something.

Thanks. The star base upgrade tooltip is misleading/

I am curious about the forms of government. There are techs that say they allow you to use a particular ‘form’ of government. However, I have not been able to find a place to see what kind of government form is currently being used, or to change said form.

I may very well just not be looking in the right place to see this information.

Anyone know for sure?

government is just passive bonuses now- it was stripped down compared to the earlier galciv games, which is probably for the best- it wasn’t very fun.

Brad, the gigantic spiral galaxy screenshot you posted in the Steam thread is a thing of beauty.

Also got a review in there. Hope it helps a little.

Thanks I finally got back into my Stardock account. Turns out I bought GalCiv 2, but not GalCiv 3. I have to say 3 look really similar to 2. I guess I’ll wait for some reviews and look at getting it.

Another question - can someone explain the background colors on the diplomacy screen? I had assumed that the closer to green the friendlier, but now (according to the tooltips) factions with a red background are described as “cordial”.

Also, once assigned to a planet, is there any way to get a citizen moved back to the government?

(I guess that’s two questions)

If you select your citizen working on a planet, you can click the ‘Promote Button’ and get a list of options.

You can then chose to “Recall” them if you have enough resources, by “promoting them to a recalled state”… (???).

Oh yea, the tooltip for Recall has no text, nor does Crunch time.

Oh yea; See you again in 2019.

Was trying diplomacy and see if I could buy a enemy colonization ship before it settled next to me… only problem is that this list (244 ships in total).

Doesn’t seem to be sorted alphabetically, nor is there a search button?

I click the ‘report’ button having selected the ship in the “main view”, but that didn’t seem to do anything? Would’ve been nice if you could either mark it there, to see it listed in diplomacy, or have a search option, OR sorting options… OR I could just do what any normal civilization would do, and blow it up.

I don’t mean to be pedantic but constructors consuming an administration point isn’t a bug. It’s part of the new system where building constructors/survey ships/colony ships consumes an administrator.

There is a discussion to be had whether you should get refunded if you disband them but the idea was to make each choice matter. And as an aside, how often are you disbanding constructors that this would be an issue either way?

But having read some posts requesting this, I’ve submitted a change request. :)

I agree that some of the flavor text (notably the Hive technologies that used to be associated with the Thalan exclusively but are now available to any civ that has Intuitive ability) needs to be updated.

Overall, the biggest challenge with this expansion has been the data stuff. Almost everything we’ve run into has to do with data from the base game (See the tooltip example above) and Crusade conflicting.

Originally, Crusade was going to be a stand-alone game but as some QT3 users may recall, we did this with Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation and there were (even here) a number of unhappy people. So Crusade got changed relatively late in development from being stand-alone to a DLC of GalCiv III.

That isn’t to say that the various polish items mentioned shouldn’t be ironed out by release. It’s more of an explanation of how hard it is to jam what is, in essence, a sequel into a DLC’s form factor. ;)

Yea, it assumes that you have something in the queue. I suspect that is in the base game since nothing changes in that area. I’ve requested that this get updated to instantly add projects.

Thank you sir!

I’d love to work with you on the final campaign if you can. The campaign for the whole Crusade story-arc is next year’s project. ;)

So far I am having a pretty good time with Crusade. Congrats Brad on taking a very different tack on the economy, I haven’t sunk enough time into it to really evaluate it, but it seems very promising so far.

One wrinkle I ran into: copying an existing race in order to make modifications doesn’t do a “deep” copy. I wanted to tweak the abilities of the Yor very quickly, but found that I lost the Yor-specific tech descriptions and my citizens ended up looking like default humans. I think it would be fairly easy to get around by copying some Yor files around, but I think the copy command should do that by default.