Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

Having played 100 turns into 4 or 5 different games with different races (all on medium or large maps) I’ve noticed a couple of trends that indicate things may not be working right.

1. The same 4 or 5 events keep firing (in my current game I actually have 2 instances of Flag Waving running concurrently).

2. Despite having colonizable planets set to “common”, I never find more than 2 or 3 available. While it’s possible the AI is snatching them all up, no faction has more than 4.

3. Minor races are set to “occasional”, yet I’ve yet to encounter a single one in any of my games.

4. Resources are set to “uncommon”, yet the map is teeming with them. I can’t build star bases quickly enough.

Some of this can be attributed to the RNG, but not all of them, particularly the events and minor races.

I like the changes a lot. A couple of issues I’ve noticed: First, the estimates on how many credits a turn you’re earning or losing seems broken. Late game it’s reporting that I’m losing credits every turn when I’m not. And secondly, I see AI races that are thousands of credits in debt.

Aside from that I’m having a blast, great job Stardock.

I’m having the AI play itself on a ludicrous map.

Current turn as I write this is 78.
https://forums.galciv3.com/482959/GalCiv-III-Crusade---Ludicrous-Game

I’ve only met 2 of the 40 civs so far.

Here is the known galaxy:

I have it on abundant everything to really push it as hard as possible. If you look akt the mini map, you can see a few black pixels of the known universe.

BTW, this is what the CPU cores look like on auto turn:

So unless you have a minimum of say 6 CPU cores, you probably won’t have a great experience on that huge size (unless you have patience).

That CPU chart is a thing of beauty. /swoon

Hey I was going to say that Lol! (Just minus the swoon) ;)

Speaking of the overclock, Brad do you know if the game benefits from hyperthreading? The virtual 4 cores on top of the physical 4 cores on a quad core processor has always been a toss up for gaming, and in years past the hyperthreading signinfanctly hurt overlcocking efforts due to the voltage and heat the extra processing pushed. My motherboard is not good at overclocking so I’ve left it at default and have not been able to do all the fun crazy things of the past to my processor. But with Galc Civ 3 Crusade and these very large maps, this is an area where Intel’s claim of “hyperthreading’s amazing contribution to performance” could truly be put to the test (outside of video editing and rendering where it’s contribution is undeniable). Sorry for getting off-track.

Yea, hyper-threading is just about as good as having another core with this game.

It is, ironically, that AI shows off hyperthreading better than say graphics and such. But you can’t take a screenshot of AI. You can just note that you can play a game with 50+ opponents and not have it take minutes per turn because N of them are running in parallel.

Here’s a shot from Vtune:

So in this exmaple, you have a bunch of AI players doing their thing. There’s also a sound thread and network thread (the two func& ones).

The issue I’m working on is the WinMainCRT one. I never want that thread to be busy because that’s the thread that talks to the Windows queue.

Now, this example is on the ludicrous map 300 turns in. It feels pretty good but you still feel a little jerkyness which is what i’m trying to fix.

I won my first game today. very satisfying it was too. Ascension victory on the back of a trade empire. My fleet of privateers/ pirates (I like the way the ships turn black) wrecked havoc on my trading partners navy to buy me time for the win, they never knew who was behind it all :)

Good times.

They are getting an update ready to address stability, balance, and general tweaks. It’s available as an opt-in now but should be released soon.

Changelog: https://forums.galciv3.com/482986/

I wish Bethesda and Firaxis patched their games with this kind of speed and dexterity. Thanks for getting these to us so quicky.

How does it rank military ratings? 1 of 8 versus 8 of 8 or whatever. By total military strength of all ships?

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a dang minute.

I’ve been pronouncing “Drengin” wrong all this time?

It’s DRENJ-en, with a “J” sound? Not DRENG-gen with the “ng” in the middle?

WTF??!?!?!?

@Telefrog - I pronounce it the same way so we must be right.

Minor question: is there any way to build “aid research” continuously, without being prompted every 8 turns?

I’ve been pronouncing Jedi like Jedee as a matter of principle…

I actually remember leaning about the correct pronunciation of Drengin years ago…and summarily ignoring it because it’s obviously the product of insanity ;-)

Brad Wardell +vs+ AngryJoe

Edit
what a happy video :D

It’s like that one time Genghis Khan gave me a look when I pronounced his name as ‘gang-us’.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how do the previously released DLC’s work alongside Crusade? Do the story campaigns make use of all the features added in Crusade, or do they operate on the old codebase? Do the added features in Mercenaries function alongside those of Crusade?

They do, though not all of it has been properly balanced and tweaked to work with Crusade.

You can play the DLC with just the base game but they have also been enhanced to run via Crusade. However, some additional balancing, imo, would do well as some of the DLC event/anomalies are set to be pretty rare and while that might make sense from a “lore” point of view, someone who just bought said DLC is going to want to see that DLC in action.

The Ludicrous update due next week should address any remaining balance.