Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

Well, if they did they’re hiding it well.

Standard operating procedure for Steam. :)

All “New and Trending” games are full releases - there are no early access games in that list.
If you hover over a game, a list of tags show up - All that I tested show the first tag as “early access”.

So - you should be able to see whether a game is early access or not, at a glance, and even check out lists without them included.

Thanks. I’ll check out those techniques.

Its not perfect, but its “a” way :-)

Instructions for filtering out Early Access can be found here.

There’s a “customize” button on the store page. Click that, and uncheck Early Access.

I’m not sure if that is still the case since the most recent Store revamp. I am not seeing that same button right now.

You can exclude EA and unreleased games (as well as specific tags like “visual novel”) from your Discovery queue though.

So anybody have some build order tips and strategies? I always start with a space elevator but then just sort of wing it after that. And I still struggle with food and city planning. I tend to want to build specialized planets so turning my home world into an agri-business always pains me. Should I just spread the farms around instead?

With Crusade, I always just have a dedicated farm world to feed all my other planets. Specialization is the way to go, and focusing your efforts on one agricultural world allows you to pool Farmer citizens, if needed.

I don’t know about a specific build order early on, but I typically like to have my main planet a production world so that I can get some constructors/colony ships out there. I adjust this at times if my homeworld just ends up being terrific for research/credits due to tile bonuses.

I did have a problem with “overspecialization” in a somewhat OCD way at first. My first games I’d forego building the computer core or central bank because I should “save” those for my research/economy planets. They’re so cheap and easy to build, though, it’s better just to get them down ASAP. You can always destroy the building and rebuild them on a new world.

Stardock’s been doing EA for over 20 years, they do it the right way- though the younger crowd doesn’t understand this and is generally unwilling to take a chance on a Stardock game.

Just snagged this as well as the Crusade expansion from the GOG sale. Gotta say, between the quick loading, great music and excellent animation on the faction portraits, it makes a great first impression!

Great to hear! Let us what you think after you have some more time in. :)

OK so, when my Torians build Hot Springs it says on one part of the tooltip that they’re just giving a little morale boost, which makes sense. Then on the bottom of the tooltip it says that they’re giving “+1 level” to a bunch of different things. What does that mean, exactly? Should I build nothin’ but hot springs everywhere? Granted that sounds like the kind of world I’D like to live on but it’s not obvious to me that it does what I think it does. Little help?

Adjacency bonuses. So if it says it gives +1 to wealth, for example, it would add one level to a market built next to it.

I find that the catch is that you might have a wealth structure that gives say +1 base income for each adjacency bonus, and another wealth structure that gives +1% additional wealth income for each adjacency bonus (and ones that give a whole lot of nothing for adjacency bonuses). Especially early on you really want to lay those adjacency bonuses on the structures that give you flat output. The anti-matter power plant is like +5 to everything around it. That can be really huge: don’t waste it on getting +5% to research or whatever.

The v2.3 update is out today with substantial AI adjustments, game re-balancing, bug fixes, and more made to both games with some additional Crusade-only features.

Video overview: https://youtu.be/2Cm2K1lMnT0

More info and changelog: https://forums.galciv3.com/483664/

I haven’t been able to start an MP game on the v2.3 opt-in branch for several days now. I’ve tried verifying integrity via Steam and even reinstalling the game (and deleting anything left over in Documents) to no avail.

Anyway, I’ve been sending in the crash reports, but the game barfs on the building galaxy (first step) stage when trying to start a MP game. SP seems to work fine.

Any idea what might be going on? I know GC3 is primarily focused on SP, but the multiplayer issues are really starting to take the wind out of my sails for this game. I was looking forward getting some fixes in 2.3 for things like Ideology events not firing and initial client crash in MP (which you could work around by having the host save on turn 1 and then restoring that session), but now I can’t even play the game at all.

Have you sent in a ticket to support? We’re not seeing any issues with MP so we’d like to see what’s going on.

I’ve just been sending in the crash reports (along with a description of the issue) whenever it happens. I’ll open an actual support ticket when I get home today.

After you open it, send me or post the ticket number and I’ll expedite to the team. Thanks. :)