Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

I keep wanting to get Mercenaries but it is inexplicably 10 bucks more expensive on GOG :(

We’re trying to get the price updated on GOG.

Now that Civ 6 is on iPad and fully featured - has Stardock ever given any thought to developing for iPad? Galciv 3 on iPad would be pretty darn awesome.

Hey Brad and crew, I have an idea for the galaxy setup.

I’ve been playing a lot lately and enjoying it very much. It’s much more polished and fun than at first release. I normally play benevolent because that’s how I am. In my last game, I started that way, with random AI races, only to realize that every other race was malevolent. I had to change my behavior so that I didn’t find myself at war with the whole galaxy :D

Anyway my idea is that as an option, instead of picking specific races, you can pick an ethos. “Mostly benevolent”, “mostly pragmatic”, “mostly malevolent”, “random”. Like how you could pick kingdoms and empires in Fallen Enchantress.

Just an idea. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next expansion.

I wonder if part of the reason Civ AI is so poor is because they designed it for easy portability for the ipad with regards to limited processing power. I could be way off base, but it always struck me as concerning that limited cpu cycles didn’t make a difference across the platforms.

Good question. As Galciv’s AI is more accomplished I wondered if that might be a barrier to porting it. The system requirements for GC3 are not that high though and the iPad pros have decent CPU’s. The bigger reason I suspect is more likely the economics - full price games struggle on those platforms. But maybe Brad will weigh in?

Well, they could always limit the game in map size/number of opponents so the pad cpu can handle it better?
Believe the whole UI setup is similar to .xml/.xsl so I guess in theory it should be straghtforward to make a touch-based input work?

Brad wrote a dev journal about map sizes and the memory they require.

And of course, it’s on sale in the Steam Lunar sale this week. :)

Thats what I call perfect timing :-)

Edit: Even with Ludicrous size, it seems to be stuck at max 15 opponents?
Seeya in a few years :P

You are still limited by the number of civilizations you have in your game.

If you go onto Steamworks you can download literally thousands of factions and civilizations to play with. That’s how you can get up to 100.

Ah, I figured “random” would create random opponents, not pick randomly from those I had already available, but I guess it makes sense.

Cheers, off to make new factions, space felt a bit empty with only 15 factions.

Just wanted to let you know GOG has the correct pricing now. :)

Thanks!!

Ok been trying to get into GalCiv3 a bit lately. Love many of the systems and I am enjoying my progression. What I cannot get is this: (and this probably made me bounce off of it at release)

Why are the solar systems spread out so much? To be clear, it just seems like on some maps the planets (and etc resources) are spread out all around. The problem is in reality a star is huge way away from another star. In this game my outside planets are bumping on other stars planets. I can’t even tell sometimes what system I’m in.

I just end up playing this weird almost unrealistic game of resource gathering/city building(planet) and /spaceships. The strategic map just doesn’t make sense.

Convince me? am I overthinking it?

I like to imagine that the drive a GalCiv are far less efficient near gravity well such as star systems. So the spaces between systems are effectively shrunk. It doesn’t quite work, but it’s close enough for conquest!

IMO, yes, but I get where you’re coming from. I’ve considered it more an abstraction than attempting to be any sort of simulation. And then factor this: What gameplay implications are there if star systems were a more “realistic” distance apart?

And if your brain needs a plausible explanation, I really like @MikeJ’s approach. :)

That approach reminds me of the hyperdrive system used in Vernor Vinge novels. The denser the star systems the slower the hyperdrive. At least as far as I can recall.

Believe it or not there’s an article I wrote years ago on the GalCiv II forums explaining “Hyperspace projection”.

In essence, gravity warps the space-time. It takes longer for Hyperdrive to move in areas of high mass than low mass.

Thus, a given tile isn’t equal distance. It’s is a single Hyperspace “moment”. I should dig it up and repost it.

Brad has a GCIII v3.0 preview up which talks about changes to farming.

He also mentions 3.0 is set for April! Is this news, or was it announced previously? It was news to me, anyway!

I don’t know what I’m going to do with all these strategy games coming out Q1. Well, obviously I’ll be playing them all, but it’s just a matter of figuring out what I’ll need to cut from the rest of my life. Sleep? SO? Personal hygiene?