Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

https://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/sites/sbs.com.au.comedy/files/styles/full/public/giphy_1_0.gif?itok=TQxpmRZx&mtime=1471328123

Intrigue journal #2 is out today!

Intrigue introduces a tax slider where you can determine how high you’d like to set your taxes. Naturally, the higher they are, the angrier your citizens become.

Check out this week’s dev diary for some info on v3.0!

Sounds like more positive changes. I’ve never been a fan of the colonization rush that occurs at the start of many 4X games.

in Civ4, I loved playing the Terra map script because there was always a huge New World continent to explore and exploit once you had the tech for ocean-capable ships. in GalCiv and other space games, gating expansion opportunities behind techs allows the expansion throughout the galaxy to be more steady instead of an initial rush all at once.

Booooooo! I adore you Kevin, but no. I LOVE the colonization rush in 4x games :) Getting to a primo planet/system before anyone else is like that first bite into a tender medium-rare steak. Yummmmmm!

I think it would be interesting to have a game where every race has a large diaspora - small private colony ships heading for the hills and colonizing everything in sight. Then the goal of the central government is to establish political control over the system through various means. Some species would have rapid diasporas but difficulty establishing the central control. Others would expand in a more traditional manner and get full control wherever they send a government-controlled colonization fleet.

Diasporas would overlap of course, and some new empires could self-organize out of the frontier systems.

I obviously like colony rushing myself. What I don’t like is it to be the only viable strategy. :)

That tension is good. What I mean is that the land rush starts and ends in the blink of the eye, which means you only get that interesting part of the game at the very start, then you just settle into the mid-game doldrums.

If you lock planets behind tech or have the New World like the Terra mapscript in Civ4, you still have have that tension and that rush to grab that juicy land before anyone else, it’s just extended! Now you’re trying to figure out how to streamline your economy/tech/whatever so that you’re able to grab it out from under the nose of your opponent.

Oh yes, absolutely. A few 4x’s have tried to do away with it entirely, so the all or nothing in regards to game starts is not great. A happy medium is best, and glad your thought patterns are so spot on :)

This week’s dev journal is out and Brad takes us through some of what’s coming in the v3.0 update! :)

When I was young…cough. I couldn’t imagine any other strategy anyone would want other than a colony rush.

That’s how I always played the Civ games. I’d crank out as many colonies as I could.

With planets, at least, we have the opportunity to make some types of planets impossible to colonize with tech thus creating a reasonable means to having very tangible trade-offs between rushing colonies versus building up your civilization.

We have a couple of new Intrigue dev journals out!

The Galactic Market

So you say you want a revolution?

Those both sound terrific. Looking forward to this!

We have announced the Intrigue release date of April 11th!

Holy stellar shitballs, that’s awesome it’s only a week away! I’m excited to add this to the list of awesome strategy games I’m trying to find time to play. :)

Wow, I can’t believe it’s so close, I was thinking much later. Pleasantly surprised.

I will probably buy this…:)

What is the best/most efficient way to get ship designs? I always hit a wall (pretty early on) when I’m forced to design ships due to the pre-made ones being seemingly lame. And I don’t want to veer off into a couple of hours of ship engineering before getting back to conquering the universe. I know Steamworks has a bunch, but is there a bundle or at least a good way to filter?

You can use an existing hull and just double click on the weapons and such you want.

Ooh, it’s been a while since I’ve started up a game, but I’m not even sure I recall doing that. I’ve gotten pretty far into at least a few games (though it’s been quite a while) so I’m not sure how I would have missed something so obvious. Or maybe I had problems getting what I wanted out of doing it that way. Still, I’ll reinstall and give that a try.