Galactic Civilizations 4 announced

According to the roadmap, civs are locked and they’ll be drip feeding them out one at a time over several months?

Seems weird, do you at least get everything that’s in the base Gal Civ 4 game? How many are there to play with at the moment (ignoring GPT)?

Civ Unlock 1
May 2023
Major classic civs unlocked

Yeah the images are pre-generated on Stardock’s side. AI is only used game-side for the text.

I love the pug, he’s SO STINKING CUTE.

Thanks everyone for your feedback on our AlienGPT here! We are continuing to work on improving the tech and making it the best we possibly can so we can support all the wild and wacky ideas you come up with.

I will share the comments and critiques on here with the team. :)

As of right now (and this may change), there is a limit of 10 civilizations per session. So if you hit that limit, you can restart the game and continue creating. The daily limit right now is 25, though, so if you reach that you’ll have to wait to make more.

They don’t get rid of the old ones that get generated. What happens is your prompt gets put into the queue for a new slew of images and what you actually get presented with are ones from the archives. They do this because apparently right now it takes about ten minutes per image for the generation to happen.

“Pirate horses” gave this selection of nightmare fuel:

I feel bad for the angry teacup.

Interesting. I wonder what if anything it will come up with for my desire to play the SpongeMob, a ravening horde of diabolical and xenophobic sponges.

I’ve seen a few sentient sponges already in the art selections.

Really? Sweet! There was nothing when I tried a couple days ago.

Guess you’re not alone in your degenerate, spongy desires.

That doesn’t seem to be working. There’s no horse among those, and calling any of them a pirate is a stretch. I understand that it can’t do “Tom Chick clone” – no one wants that! – but I would have expected something at least resembling a pirate or a horse from “pirate horses”.

So this is all a gimmick that only produces meaningful results every so often? I feel I’m not understanding the whole AI schtick, or at least I’m not understanding its limitations. : (

If you read my explanation above, it is possible that he’s the first person to ask for such a thing, which is perhaps unlikely! Since it draws on Stardock-owned images it may also not have much to go on. My understanding is they are hiring artists to add to the pool of image types to give the AI more raw material.

It could end up being that, but it’s an initial early access release of the feature that they are adding to. The content pool is a little limited now, but from the sounds of it it’s getting better (sponges returned nothing recently, they have them now according to Telefrog).

I’d be curious what Pirate Horses return in a couple days. Same thing, or does it provide something more relevant?

It’s definitely an exciting development! I’m kind of drooling at the idea of a Dominions 6 with this feature in it. One of a kind races with AI-generated spell and item lists???

We are still working on the AlienGPT feature, don’t worry! We are constantly adjusting things as everyone shares their feedback with us and will continue to do so all throughout the EA period.

This pun brings me more joy than I can begin to express to you.

We have a new dev journal series called “First 10 Turns” starting! In this journal, Brad walks through a game to “smoke test” the AI and general game mechanics. Check it out here.

Stardock did something pretty cool, and it somewhat takes the sting out of the second early access thing. They now allow Epic users to get a Steam key. So if you own the original GalCiv 4, or the Supernova version, you can get a Steam key from this site. The upgrade fee still applies to both platforms. You have to look at your Epic account to find your Epic ID. It’s a long number directly under account information.

Doh! I already double-dipped. Ah well.