Galactic Civilizations Impressions

Darn… didn’t see this thread until after I’d posted to the other. Oh well.

I’m pretty sure morale doesn’t affect production, research, or shipbuilding. The spending slider is independent of the tax rate, so I tried the same spending in BC on a 90 morale earth and 1 morale earth. One had 15 research, the other 16 research; either that’s the result of a rounding issue, or morale has virtually no effect.

It does affect population growth, though, according to someone over on the official boards. You get about 1% growth up to 56 morale, where it jumps to 3%. It then slowly goes up to 3.5% at 99, and jumps to 7% at 100.

Well, this game’s great, my half hour playing “intro” before going back to Freelancer turned into 4 hours,thanks Brad :D

BTW,I’m getting a “no resorces” message stopping a build(17 level planet), how do I tell what is causing it and how do I correct it?

For me, that means a negative treasury. Had me scratching my head for awhile the first time I saw it, too.

I’m pretty sure morale doesn’t affect production, research, or shipbuilding.

I read somewhere (I think it was in the manual) that morale does indeed have a slight impact on production. How much exactly, it didn’t say. :(

Increase the amount you’re spending on the appropriate build type in the domestic settings screen (the one with your empire’s symbol on it in the lower left). For example, if you moved the slider for “military” down to 10% in order to get more research and social, you’re probably going to find that on some planets 10% of their resources is less than 1 resource point, and no military projects will get built. Move military back up until the problem goes away.

Any way to tell how close you are to winning other than the % on the Menu screen??

Because those seem a little wonky:They are different when you relaod a game from what they were when saving & quitting!!

Similarly, I’m playing the Techheads and leading in Tech the whole game and the start screen tells me “You are falling behind Technologically”

Likewise, is there a way to Surrender when you know it’s absolutely hopeless and you don’t want to wait around for the AI to just finish the job? I’d rather surrender and “officially” end a game rather than get tired of waiting for the deathblow and start up a new game.

Yeah, give a computer all your planets. End of game.

I’m in a nasty situation in my current game. Me and my main enemy are both good, right, so I’ve been building up starbases and doing the culture war thing.

Then, all of a sudden, the I-League pops up (error message in their description text, BTW), and my planets start defecting left and right. My planets morales are turning to shit, I have 0% taxes and STILL my approval rating is crap (despite all the trade goods and drugs), and I can’t invade the I-Leage because I can’t come up with the votes, and if I do, the other 2 good races are going to attack me.

Arrrghhh… what do I do?

The answer came to me this morning as I was waiting for the alarm clock to go off so I could hit snooze and sleep some more. By lowering taxes to nothing, I was getting more population that was being unhappy because my improvents were already maxed out.

So the solution is to jack taxes up and force people into the untaxed uncounted underclass so that the swimming pools aren’t full anymore.

Here I am, a “good” player and I’m forcing billions of people into poverty for the sake of approval ratings. Hooray!

i think that only has to do with the amount of money currently being spent on tech development,not the overall ‘tech level’, I think. That threw me for a loop as well.

[quote=“Skinner”]

i think that only has to do with the amount of money currently being spent on tech development,not the overall ‘tech level’, I think. That threw me for a loop as well.[/quote]

I think whatever it uses to determine how well you are doing tech wise needs revamping, as it has never given me an accuracte reading regardless of tech spending or tech level.

olaf

My understanding is the rating is a reflection of the exclusive tech you have. You may be the first to develop a tech, but if you trade it away, or it gets stolen, or the other civs catch up and research it as well, you rating goes down. At least I think that’s how it works.