Galactic Ruler: Battlegoat goes into space and rivals Emperor of the Fading Suns?

As Shadow Empire adds oceans to its map, @vyshka pondered what it might become if it left orbit:

Whoa, Battlegoat shot their crazy spreadsheet design into outer space! That might be the only place where it actually works!

@BrianRubin, can you say more? These Battlegoat games always struck me as a borderline catastrophic mess when they were situated in the real world. But if you’re calling it out as a latter day replacement for Emperor of the Fading Suns, surely it deserves its own thread! Tell us more.

This game has a lot to offer, but like other Battlegoat games, even EFS, it’s…tough to get into. I’ve got maybe 8 hours in it at this point, and I am enjoying it, but when I keep thinking about returning to it, I just kind of feel tired. It’s…a lot. I kind of love it, but it’s a lot.

Edit: Nope, four hours, which apparently felt like eight. It’s a dense game.

This thread is a great idea, come to think of it, because I think about this game a lot, but I don’t go back to it. I really should, so I will.

Edit: Okay I clearly need to do the tutorial again because I generated a game and had no idea what I was doing.

The sale on this is interesting, you can get the game alone for 40 dollars OR get 2 OTHER Battlegoat games AND this game for 20 dollars! um…bought. Even if i had owned one or both of these other games, it’s a great deal! Darn you Brian for seducing me to buy yet another space game!

Awaken from cryo sleep! A Galactic Ruler stand-alone expansion is entering orbit.

There also is a bundle right now of Galactic Ruler, plus Supreme Ruler Ultimate, and Supreme Ruler: The Great War for ~$9. There will be a discount for GR owners when the expansion comes out. Tempted at $9 just to see how it has changed if it all since the original so many years ago. All I really remember of that was that I was Iowa attacking Illinois, and being in need of oil.

@Otagan and @BrianRubin you both seem to like these games, or at least keep adding them to your library. Are they worth the time?

I liked Galactic Ruler a lot but boy am I bad at it.

I like that Battle Goat keeps working on their games. Unfortunately, that’s the best I can say for them and it doesn’t do much for steam user reviews, either. But anyway, it’s an achievement that they are still churning out games and I’m glad for everyone who can enjoy them.

At least they’ve finally left the planet. I feel like it was holding them back.