Galaxy Quest Lands at Amazon?

Grain of salt and all that, but I put a little more stock in EW than, say, JimbosMovieRumorz.website.

The Galaxy Quest crew has found a new home. Amazon Studios is developing a series based on the beloved1999 cult sci-fi hit, EW has learned exclusively.
The streaming outlet is partnering with producer Paramount Television on the project. Last April, media outlets reported that Paramount was shopping a Galaxy Quest title to prospective buyers.

The show’s development is at an early stage. It’s not clear if members of the film’s cast will be sought for the show, or if the series will be a complete reboot. The film had some major (and tough to get) names among the NSEA Protector crew—including Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen, Alan Rickman and Sam Rockwell.
Behind the camera, however, the crew is very much the same. The film’s co-writer Robert Gordon will pen the script and executive produce the pilot. The film’s director Dean Parisot will direct and executive produce. And executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are on board as well. (You might say they never gave up, never surrendered).

Paramount and Amazon Studios had no comment.

GQ is still one of my absolute favorite comedies, no doubt, but it hurts a little to see this (apparently) progressing while True TV Trek remains a mirage. . .

Yeah, that movie was way better than you would think it would have been. I actually went back and watched it recently, and it is pretty darn good.

Yup, it holds up well.

One of my favorites. It’s a loving spoof with top-notch casting and many good laughs.

Word that this was in the works has been bouncing around for awhile now so I wouldnt be too surprised if it is in fact true. Amazon has said they want to get Prime established through original programming and GQ would be a nice feather in their cap.

I’ll try and withhold judgement, but my knee-jerk reaction is growling pessimism. A sequel to a movie that more-or-less spoofed our culture of sequel-worship doesn’t sound all that great.

Seconded. How long could they really keep the show telling the jokes, rather than being the joke.

I could see one season being good, anything more than that? The creeping of internal lore into this show would kill the spark IMO.

Lore? Those are historical documents.

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulscheer/status/898264116258783232

I hope they go with an entirely new cast. It just wouldn’t be the same without Alan Rickman. :(

I am excited for the show, the movie was one of those ‘wtf am I watching now’ that quickly turned into one of my favorites of all time. It’s a stupid movie, but it just physically lodged itself into my brain. Me and the wife still go around repeating ‘never give up, never surrender’ and my personal favorite ‘it exploded.’

It’s absolutely not a stupid movie.

We already have a Star Trek-ish comedy coming out in The Orville.

True, but that’s from Seth MacFarlane so pretty much anything else is going to be better.

Except, perhaps, the actual Star Trek show.

Nope, the actual Trek show could consist of the actors doing nothing but making armpit fart noises and it would be superior to MacFarlane’s show. OK, in fairness to him, about equal since I’m expecting pretty much nothing but fart jokes.

How about it’s filled with stupid?

Stupid fun?

It smartly takes the piss out of and celebrates stupid?

Hmm, I actually kinda liked A Million Ways to Die in the West, so I’ll be checking the McFarlane show out.
Also really liked the Paul Scheer show called NTSF:SD:SUV, so maybe this Galaxy Quest show has a chance of being decent.

New info, project may be revived by … Simon Pegg!