GalCiv Metaverse

So, I finished my first game (Galactic Alliance victory), a medium map with pretty weak enemies as a starter game for myself. Scored a 32 and posted it on the GalCiv Metaverse for kicks. Ranked 91 so far, which is low but nice, although Tyjenks is beating me at Rank 78.

Just a thought - anyone up for a Qt3 Empire on the GalCiv Metaverse? See if our collective strategic prowess (or lack thereof) can crack the upper ranks of GalCiv gaming?

I bought GalCiv today (haven’t loaded it yet, though, just got home), but I’m a little underwhelmed by the metaverse idea. I think the AI tweaking aspect of it is cool. The scoreboard seems like it will suffer from a couple of issues, though: 1) there’s no “ironman” requirement, so people who want high scores can save regularly (or before making an important decision/investigation), and reload if things didn’t go well. Unless the game has a Civ3-style random number seed, that will allow people to artificially inflate their scores if they want to. And I’m sure some people will want to. 2) I am sure the top spots will mostly be filled with clan-style empires. Maybe a Qt3 empire, as suggested, could compete, though.

My first 2 scores were a 3 and a 5. In retrospect, I probably should not have reported those. :)

A Qt3 Empire would be good. I nominate balut as Emperor as long as he does not call it balutsville or balutonia.

Damn you Tyjenks, now I’m going to have to spend another few hours coming up with a snappy Empire name!

Why are you posting that you scored with 3 and 5 year olds? It’s bad enough when you like 14 year olds, but toddlers!?!?

You are right, you should not have reported this.

I tried submitting my 85 point game to the Metaverse but it didn’t “take”. Feedback on it was, well, nonexistant so I have no clue what went wrong. Maybe I’ll try it again with my next submission…

I’m game for the Empire if you’ll have me.

I’m in

Xemu, we found a bug in the metaverse code that is causing some games not to “take”. Fix is going up tonight.

Is the scoring system final or are you guys still tweaking it? Will there be a description as to how your final score is calculated and what variables go into it? I have seen posts on your boards regarding wild variations in scoring and no clear connection to game set up and/or the resulting win.

The biggest problem with the scoring isn’t so much the ironman… I mean seriously, with games lasting 2-3 days on average and probably weeks in a Gigantic universe, that wouldn’t go over that well… but people can simply load a match they just won, win it all over again by playing the last few turns again, and keep re-submitting.

No they can’t. Try it for yourself.

It only accepts the game the first time. We aren’t clueless you know. ;)

I did.

It asked me if I wanted to upload the score, I said sure… and it went through like normal. Maybe I missed a message telling me it couldn’t… but I dunno…

Ironman doesn’t mean you have to play all in one sitting without saving. It just means that the game autosaves every turn, writing over the prior autosave, and that’s the only save you have. In other words, you can pause the action at any time, but you can never go back to before you paused (and thereby undo a bad or unlucky outcome).

I did.

It asked me if I wanted to upload the score, I said sure… and it went through like normal. Maybe I missed a message telling me it couldn’t… but I dunno…[/quote]

You can submit as many times you like. It only uses one score though. Check your metaverse score for instance.

BTW, check this out:

http://www.galciv.com/metaverse/metamap/metamap.html

Still working out a few kinks but you can see your actual empire virtually as part of the galaxy.

Damn! Brad’s givin’ me the brush off. Now that he is selling all those units, he can’t help a brotha’ out by answering a couple of questions.

I swear Jason will have the site up soon. :wink:

Damn! Brad’s givin’ me the brush off. Now that he is selling all those units, he can’t help a brotha’ out by answering a couple of questions.

I swear Jason will have the site up soon. :wink:[/quote]

LOL. Not at all. Just with the move and the hours I’m falling behind.

The score system is pretty set. We won’t say what variables are used though, there are already trainers out there unfortuntaely.

I had almost forgotten about the f’ed up trainer contingent that roves around looking for games to ruin…shit! Well, I am going to have to put faith in the fact that you guys know what you are doing with the scoring. Until I get a score in the 1,000 to 4,000 range like those top Metaverse bastards, however, I will continue to cut my eyes towards you scornfully.