Game Awards 2016 (Los Angeles)

Just realized this award show is happening tomorrow at the MS Theater next door to my work. Anyone going to be there in person?

If anyone is curious, here are the nominees:

GOTY:

[quote]
Doom (id Software/Bethesda Softworks)
Inside (Playdead)
Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
Titanfall 2 (Respawn Entertainment/Electronic Arts)
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment)[/quote]

Best Game Direction:

[quote]
Blizzard Entertainment (for Overwatch)
EA DICE (for Battlefield 1)
id Software (for Doom)
Naughty Dog (for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End)
Respawn Entertainment (for Titanfall 2)[/quote]

Best Narrative:

[quote]
Firewatch (Campo Santo)
Inside (Playdead)
Mafia 3 (Hangar 13/2K Games)
Oxenfree (Night School Studio)
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment)[/quote]

Best Performance:

[quote]
Alex Hernandez as Lincoln Clay, Mafia 3
Cissy Jones as Delilah, Firewatch
Emily Rose as Elena, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Nolan North as Nathan Drake, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Rich Sommer as Henry, Firewatch
Troy Baker as Sam Drake, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End[/quote]

Best Multiplayer:

[quote]
Battlefield 1 (EA DICE/Electronic Arts)
Gears of War 4 (The Coalition/Microsoft Studios)
Overcooked (Ghost Town Games/Team17)
Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
Titanfall 2 (Respawn Entertainment/Electronic Arts)
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)[/quote]

Expect to see gameplay trailers for Prey, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Live streaming here: https://www.youtube.com/thegameawards

I haven’t played a single one of those games. I guess the awards aren’t aimed at my demographic. Wake me up when Victory and Glory:Napoleon or Twilight Struggle is nominated for something.

Well I just want to say they’re ALL winners in MY book.

<smile>

Indeed, seems PC games are excluded from the videogames genre.

That’s a weird thing to say when four of the five GOTY award nominees are on PC.

They aren’t on my PC. wink at @divedivedive

Anyway, it sounds more like comfort awards for the most money spent on games than actually gaming considerations of any sort.

That’s made my day. Too many shooters spoil the category.

I love Titanfall 2 but credit where it’s due: Overcooked is such a refreshing change to pretty much any other multiplayer game I’ve played in a long time. The co-op is superb and the competitive is too if you can get four together.

I finished Doom (cool 8/10 shooter) and Inside (derivative 6/10 platformer), I would nominate neither.
Uncharted 4 is going to win that one. Blood and Wine and Dishonored 2 are the true winners though :)

I always thought Overcooked was a cooking game. So seeing it nominated for best multiplayer game threw me for a loop. I guess maybe the title refers to the act of overcooking a grenade, not cooking a mean chicken soup.

Nope, it’s a cooking game.

Holy shit, that looks incredible. Couch Co-op games are already so rare. I had to laugh out loud at the idea of a kitchen split up by a frozen river in the middle with chunks of ice floating down the river. This looks brilliant.

Aye, it is a cooking game. That’s why it made my day that it was sat amongst nothing but shooters! :-)

My girlfriend, friend and I are just on the final stretch of finishing the campaign. It can be incredibly stressful because actual honest-to-god co-op is the order of the day. It is amazing though when you’re all totally in time with each other. When it’s not vein-bustingly stressful (trying to three star a level), it’s positively zen-like when you hit that hypnotic groove.

My wife and I had to stop playing Overcooked, there was real danger of it ending our marriage. She was obsessed with washing dishes. That’s in contrast to reality where she dumps everything down and leaves me to deal with it. Its like shes mocking me in the game!

Hahaha, yeah, the game really doesn’t allow one person to just sit in their own comfortable bubble.

That gif sold me. Next time I am having friends/family over, it shall be installed.

I stopped reading when Tyranny wasn’t even a nominee for Best Narrative.

We’ve trialled it with a lot of people and it definitely works best if you all start at the same time so you’re learning and working through problems together and sharing the same mix of terror and excitement at the sight of a new and intimidating level!

There is actually quite a resurgence of them for the PC (of all platforms) right now. I mean, they’re still limited, but I’ve been enjoying a number of high quality and different experiences across the board lately. Couch gaming is alive and well.

Yes! I’ve been trying to find the best Steam couch co-op games that I can play with my young daughters. In fact, I just picked up Overcooked tonight (not knowing about these awards) because it is currently on sale. We burned some onion soup but everybody had a blast. :) Can’t wait to play more.