Game box art challenge?

Looks so familiar, one of the Ultima games? Weā€™ll try Ultima V

This looks extremely familiar now, although Iā€™d think it was on a book and not a game!

Not Ultima V!

Crap, I definitely owned this game as the art is so familiar. Iā€™m thinking something to do with D&D.

Box shape is a hint as well (but it isnā€™t an EA game). It is contemporary to Ultima V (but not nearly as good a game).

Edit: Ok, Iā€™m going to spill it ā€“ The Faerie Tale Adventure by MicroIllusions. A game I really, really wanted to love (it looked and sounded great on the Amiga) but it was totally out-classed by Ultima IV (1985) and the later Ultima V (1988).

Ah man youā€™re killing me, thatā€™s the game I chose for my podcast with Tom. (Hangs my head in shame)

Well, it does look and sound great! And there is a bit of magic to it. It just had the misfortune of being released in the midst of one of the best (well, in my opinion, the best) story arcs of RPG-dom, Ultima IV - VI (The Age of Enlightenment). A very, very high bar to achieve.

It was my first game on the Amiga, it blew my mind because there was nothing even close. I didnā€™t realize that there was such a thing as Ultima games until a few years later.

Faery Tale was a killer app that sold my family on an Amiga 500. We had the game before we had the computer ā€“ I used to stare longingly at the screenshots on the box. But in terms of story and game mechanics, itā€™s certainly no Ultima (also no Magic Candle, no Legacy of the Ancients, no Phantasie, etcā€¦) Looked/sounded amazing at the time, though.

Over to you, BigWeather!

I remember the shock it was when, after hours of relatively low fantasy, you stumbled upon that phoenixian dragon.

I looked through all 2890 posts to see if this had been done and, to my shock, it hadnā€™t. Iā€™ll begin as @Gordon_Cameron did with The Faerie Tale Adventure ā€“ with claws. I expect that heā€™ll guess this one quickly as when I Googleā€™d for Qt3 and this game his post about this was the first that came up. ; )

Dang, gotta admit, it hasnā€™t come to me yet.

Second reveal:

Grim Fandango

Nope, not Grim Fandango.

It doesnā€™t seem right but Iā€™ll guess Telengard.

Trust your instincts, it is Telengard!

I had this C=64 game on tape. Iā€™d start the load before dinner in the hopes itā€™d be loaded when I got done eating. While primitive it was a fun (and punishing) Rogue-like. I still have my nearly pristine and complete box to this day. :)

I still dust off Telengard from time to time. Thereā€™s no sense of place (every spot in the dungeon seems like the next except for what item/event pops up) but the graphics are fun and the power curve is actually pretty interesting, especially the spells that you unlock at higher levels.

Next box:

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe