Game box art challenge?

Ahhhh.

OK, sorry for the delay! Here’s my entry. I’m continuing with my tradition of “interesting and/or meaningful” rather than “hard to guess.”

Lords of the Realm II?

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World?

No and no!

Stronghold: Crusaders

Empire Earth 2?

No and no!

Next update will be at around 3 PM EST if no one guesses.

Either it’s a history-spanning strategy game or Nero’s got some funky-looking Praetorian Guards.

Civilization: Call to Power?

Nope!

I will give another fast clue.

Time Stranger!

Time Zone. Ken and Roberta Williams’ first really ambitious title. Also their first flop, I think, though I could be wrong.

Yes, nijimeijer gets it!

Although today we view this as a pretty standard/boring early-Sierra (then “On-Line Systems”) graphical adventure, at the time the hype around this was i n c r e d i b l e. It came on not one, not two, but six double-sided floppy disks, the largest game (just in terms of ‘disk space used’ that I was aware of at the time and probably the largest ever released on the pre-GS Apple ][. It cost $100 (that’s over $250 in 2018 dollars making it possibly the most expensive computer game in history), and I never knew anyone who actually bought it. Its size made it not only inconvenient to play, but also inconvenient to pirate, although I am sure I saw it floating around at some point back then.

I need to play this! edit: after watching a [youtube video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVuBuWSipQ) for it, I don’t think I could stomach it in 2018. I was expecting something like in AGI like Space Quest 1.

(Annoyingly googling for ‘time zone sierra’ jut brings up a lot of stuff about the Time Zone in Sierra Leone… )

Yeah if I was going to play any of these I’d generally recommend Mystery House (the very first one, black and white line drawings) or one I haven’t played but that people generally liked, The Wizard and the Princess.

You can probably play them both in your browser. Here’s Mystery House: https://archive.org/details/Hi-Res_Adventure_1_Mystery_House_1980_On-Line_Systems

It is a great shame for me that I discovered only a couple of years ago that that country was not located in South America.

Hopefully you hadn’t booked a flight and hotel there as part of your South American tour?