Game box art challenge?

King of Fighters '98, the bestest!

It’s the Dream Match that never ends! My favorite KoF, probably?

The cheekiness is that Neo-Geo releases are kind of only technically boxes, not something that anybody was likely to ever encounter in real life. The pool party image above was used ubiquitously in marketing material though (e.g. arcade posters), and so I figured it would still be familiar to some. Eventual home console re-releases seem to have used entirely different box art though.

I was part of a group who were buying those Neogeo cartridges — they were “only” 2 to 3 times more expansive than other console’s games at the time, after all, and considering the amount of time spent playing amongst friends, were considered worth the investment. The artwork on almost all of them was gorgeous.
I understand the price for some of those games is now totally insane.

That art really screams slugfest, doesn’t it?

Haha, Yeah, In Japan, it was subtitled “Dream Match Never Ends”, thus my post. It’s a non-canon release year that didn’t advance the overall KoF plot, and includes characters that had already died in the story line. So, the pool-party artwork represents the dreamlike nature.

My understanding is that they felt Americans didn’t commonly use the term “Dream Match”, so they changed it. (Alternately, they just changed it arbitrarily, because SNK).

What in the?! Played the whole series yearly till 2000; had no idea there were some pretention in storytelling behind the thing!

The KoF storylines generated some of my favorite “All Your Base”-style engrish writing ever.

This story doesn’t make sense!

Rocky’s Boots? (footnote 1)

(footnote 1): ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE.

One of the greatest!

I was hoping it would last to the “simulated electricity” reveal. Oh well!

True story I never saw that cover; I played it on the Apple ][ and had a pirated version (sorry). I just saw the shapes and said PURPLE TRIANGLES I KNOW A GAME THAT HAS THAT.

I didn’t either back then, because I discovered the game only about 10 years ago! But I thought it was really nice looking.

Same for me. Really fond memories of that game (and it’s big brother, Robot Odyssey). I’m impressed that you nailed it just from the shapes, Peter!

It’s not that surprising. As you may know from another forum, I am to programming games as @BrianRubin is to space games. (Do we have a programming game thread at qt3?)

Hah, you do you man. Those so ain’t my bag, baby.

Start one!

Oh crap it’s my turn SORRY.

This is probably waaaaaay too easy but I don’t care.

Will post next picture this evening if nobody guesses.