Game box art challenge?

Crusader Kings? Am I just making that name up?

You’re definitely not making that name up. :)

But it’s not Crusader Kings.

I have no idea what this is, but I hope they fired that artist after this.

Damn, this looks to be right into a past obsession of mine, that is DOS games of the 80s, but I absolutely don’t remember this cover.

Space Crusaders?

There’s clearly a starship hidden in that top section.

Not Space Crusaders!

KNIGHTS: Soldier Kings Of Europe.

Crusaders: Soldier Kings of Europe

Harpoon: Soldiers Kings of Europe

Has anyone mentioned Populous: Soldier Kings of Europe?

No? Well, it’s not that either. Here’s the final one before I admit defeat and post something else.

Lemmings: Soldier Kings of Europe

Midnight Lords : Soldiers Kings of Europe

Closest so far.

It’s going to be something generic like Medieval Lords isn’t it? The prime of inventive video game titles.

Congratulations!

I honestly never played this game, but I always wanted to. It came out on MS-DOS and C64 only. I didn’t have a PC until 4 or 5 years later and it was long out of print and I was not buying C64 games at the time. If it wasn’t available for ST or Amiga, I wasn’t going to play.

I heard at some point that either the PC or C64 version was very buggy. (It may have been that the C64 was missing features.) But I really was interested in the game. It was the only only game AFAIK designed by Martin Campion who was a history professor at Pittsburg State U in Kansas. He, nearly a decade earlier, designed Rails West! Which is one of my favorite classics of the ‘80s. It would likely appear as one of my top 10 favorite C64 games.

Unfortunately, Medieval Lords came out at the time when SSI was mostly ignoring smaller titles. They released it, but they didn’t ever pay much attention to it. (They also apparently misidentified Martin Campion as Marion Campion on promo materials.)

Predates me by about a whole year, haha. So definitely wouldn’t have got it without just taking a wild stab in the dark. As for the thread’s next challenge, here it is…

Had never heard of it, and it seems quite interesting. Some sort of early EU take, with a very, very early 80s interface, yet published in 1991?
Definitely going to check this out. Thank you for the pointer.

XCOM Interceptor